oil and running problems

anderz123
This post is 6288 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I've recently purchased a DT125R (2 stroke) 2003 and have a couple of questions that i need some help with.

1. There is an oil filler cap by the kickstart and a viewing glass below it. It would appear as there is a line on the engine case next to the glass that it is need of some oil as there is none visable. Can anyone please tell which oil is recommended and if this line is a maximum or minimum.

2. The bike seems to run okay, it was a little rough initally as it had been stood for 12 months. I've let the tank get almost empty and put fresh petrol in, however the bike runs fine up until 7-8K Revs and then seems to loose perofrmance (Still runs but will struggle to go any higher) Is this typical of this bike it is standard and has not been de-restircted. My first thought is the power valve is not operating but you can hear it turn when you first switch the ignition on.

Thanks, Andy

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi,

I've recently purchased a DT125R (2 stroke) 2003 and have a couple of questions that i need some help with.

1. There is an oil filler cap by the kickstart and a viewing glass below it. It would appear as there is a line on the engine case next to the glass that it is need of some oil as there is none visable. Can anyone please tell which oil is recommended and if this line is a maximum or minimum.

2. The bike seems to run okay, it was a little rough initally as it had been stood for 12 months. I've let the tank get almost empty and put fresh petrol in, however the bike runs fine up until 7-8K Revs and then seems to loose perofrmance (Still runs but will struggle to go any higher) Is this typical of this bike it is standard and has not been de-restircted. My first thought is the power valve is not operating but you can hear it turn when you first switch the ignition on.

Thanks, Andy

Hi there, the line in the oil viewing window is where the oil should be once you've filled it up. It's often empty when the bike is running but shoud come back when it's switched off. I had an earlier model TZR but I thought the YPVS was cable operated off the throttle. Is yours electronic then? They're not normally connected when the bike is restricted.

Kind regards,

Chris Heath

Hi there, the line in the oil viewing window is where the oil should be once you've filled it up. It's often empty when the bike is running but shoud come back when it's switched off. I had an earlier model TZR but I thought the YPVS was cable operated off the throttle. Is yours electronic then? They're not normally connected when the bike is restricted.

Kind regards,

Chris Heath

YPVS is solinoid operated via electronics and is used to enhance low rpm ie shortens the exhaust length. It can stick but the whirring you hear is the checking system.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online