Valve Adjustment MAXIM 400

Helpin Sis.
This post is 6176 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

So last night I checked valve clearance and the exhaust was in spec on both sides but the intake is out.

it's around .003 and needs to be around .006 I believe. I have the special tool, followed the manual but wasn't able to access the shim to pull it out. It seems the tool wasn't holding the valve down or somthing. It's a motion pro after market tool. I could be doing soemthing wrong. Any advice, tricks to make it work???

Here's a pic of the tool installed.

IMG_0002.jpg

Thanks

Lino

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I didn't use the tool for mine, I loosened the camshafts a little and lifted them.

A strong magnet is useful too. rotate the tappet until you can see the small slot, insert a small screwdriver and get it under the shim. It will be 'stuck' down, but they do lift up. Once lifted you can draw it out with the magnet.

As for the gaps, intake is .004 - .006, exhaust is .006 - .008

I didn't use the tool for mine, I loosened the camshafts a little and lifted them.

A strong magnet is useful too. rotate the tappet until you can see the small slot, insert a small screwdriver and get it under the shim. It will be 'stuck' down, but they do lift up. Once lifted you can draw it out with the magnet.

Thanks for that. The cam chain seems extremely tight. Will the cams lift without loosening the chain? Sorry total noob to valve adjustments this way....

I kind of figured some of you had figured how to do it w/o the tool.

Thanks

Lino

One more thing. When I loosen the cam and lift it won't the spring just bring the tappet up to meet the cam?? Isn't the point of the tool to hold the tappet down and allow room under the cam to access the shim? Will I need to somehow hold the tappet down??

Lino

No, the tappet won't come up any further once the valve is fully closed. And if there is already a gap, it will just get bigger.

However, having just had a proper look at your photo, do you realise you haven't rotated the camshaft far enough? The lobe ought to be pointing away from the tappet. Yours is only 90 degrees. I suspect you've only turned the crankshaft 180° when you should have turned the camshaft 180°.

As you have the tool, I'd be tempted to try again, but make sure you turn the cam far enough. First turn the tappet so you can see the small slot. Then fit the tool with the valve fully open, turn the crankshaft one complete revolution, this will turn the camshaft 180°.

The shim will be stuck to the tappet, so you need to push a small screwdriver into the slot to dislodge it.

No, the tappet won't come up any further once the valve is fully closed. And if there is already a gap, it will just get bigger.

However, having just had a proper look at your photo, do you realise you haven't rotated the camshaft far enough? The lobe ought to be pointing away from the tappet. Yours is only 90 degrees. I suspect you've only turned the crankshaft 180° when you should have turned the camshaft 180°.

As you have the tool, I'd be tempted to try again, but make sure you turn the cam far enough. First turn the tappet so you can see the small slot. Then fit the tool with the valve fully open, turn the crankshaft one complete revolution, this will turn the camshaft 180°.

The shim will be stuck to the tappet, so you need to push a small screwdriver into the slot to dislodge it.

Thanks for the advice. I'll try again. I thought I folowed the directions clearly with regards to where the lobe should be??

Lin0

I thought I folowed the directions clearly with regards to where the lobe should be??

Nope, the lobe should point directly opposite to the valve. So in that photo it would point towards the camera.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online