yamaha dt125 help!

tyonek
This post is 6133 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hey i just got a 1981 dt125 and it started ok when we first got it , well for about a day and then it wouldent start very easialy, so i took it home from my cabin and cleaned the carb and it still wont start. the oil light also comes on usually

i need some help to fix this baby so if any of you can help please i need help

than ks

greg

• 4 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

hey i just got a 1981 dt125 and it started ok when we first got it , well for about a day and then it wouldent start very easialy, so i took it home from my cabin and cleaned the carb and it still wont start. the oil light also comes on usually

i need some help to fix this baby so if any of you can help please i need help

than ks

greg

The oil light should be on until you put it in gear. If the light does not come on in N then you have a wiring problem or the bulb has blown.

Have you tried changing the spark plug and checked the fuel filters are not clogged up inside the tank. take the fuel tap off (2 screws) and check the filters.

Ok you know the drill - its those 3 things

1. Spark

2. Fuel

3. Compression

If you've got all of these it should run (unless your timings miles out!!)

If you are new to bike mechanics but reasonably handy try this website

http://www.dansmc.com/

You don't have to agree with the guy's political sympathies but his 'online course' is simple and methodical - it's got some of my bikes going just through a process of logical progression.

Good luck

;)

• 4 months later...

I've posted this same reply in another thread. However, for tyonek's sake, I'll do it again.

I think it's flooded. It happened to me so many, many times without me knowing the cause. It happened always when I let the bike tilt on its stand. The carburetor overflows and floods the engine. When I let the bike stand by the wall and is almost upright, it does not happen. What I did was I adjusted the float and it never happened again even if I let the bike stand on its own and the tilt is great. To make sure that it doesn't really happen again, I installed a new fuel switch and I switch off the fuel line when I let the bike stand.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online