Another Newb question

Chris in Fingerlakes
This post is 6282 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I'm not new to bikes, and am active on the RD websites, but this is my first whack at working one on these triples. I'll be watching Ebay for a manual.

Not sure of the year - it's a barn find we dragged out into the light the other day. Looks like 91 is the last time it had paperwork, so probably been sitting for about 6 yrs. It feels like it has fairly even compression in all 3 cyl, and the electronics look unmolested. Besides the normal carb cleaning and attention to gunk in the petcock and installing fuel filtes,

is there anything in particular on these bikes I need to be aware of before attempting to fire one up ?

Are there common problems on these that I need to know about ( like the starter problems on Viragos, anything like that )?

Any parts that are particularly hard to find, that I can keep my eye out for ? At this point, all it appears to need is a sidecover and a front fender. I'll probably find more it needs once I get into it .

Thanks for any help.

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Check the primary chain is not touching the cases, can put your finger through the oil filler (engine NOT running) and check free play.

The triple had a penchant for nipping up on no2 (middle) crank journal, just use good oil and dont thrash from cold.

One last thing, take a look at the hangers for the centrestand, made out of very thin metal, and wear out fast

Enjoy the bike

Roger

I'm not new to bikes, and am active on the RD websites, but this is my first whack at working one on these triples. I'll be watching Ebay for a manual.

Not sure of the year - it's a barn find we dragged out into the light the other day. Looks like 91 is the last time it had paperwork, so probably been sitting for about 6 yrs. It feels like it has fairly even compression in all 3 cyl, and the electronics look unmolested. Besides the normal carb cleaning and attention to gunk in the petcock and installing fuel filtes,

is there anything in particular on these bikes I need to be aware of before attempting to fire one up ?

Are there common problems on these that I need to know about ( like the starter problems on Viragos, anything like that )?

Any parts that are particularly hard to find, that I can keep my eye out for ? At this point, all it appears to need is a sidecover and a front fender. I'll probably find more it needs once I get into it .

Thanks for any help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online