Chain and sprocket

kandy2314
This post is 6299 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

First of all I have two questions...

I have a 96 yzf 600 that I just bought about 2 weeks ago. The guy said he upgraded the sprockets. I tightned the chain because it was way to loose when I first bought it, rode it a little and re tightned it because I didn't get it quite there. So then I tested it again and it seemed fine but now it makes a funny noise as it rotates when I'm driving. So I Went to bed then felt the chain the next day and it was extremely tight like it tightned by itself. I loosened it a little but it still makes a weird noise. I proped the bike up and in neutral i rotated the wheel and in certain spots the wheel sticks really bad and is hard to move.

1st question - why is my chain tightening by itself

2nd question - why the hell is it making funny noises and sticking in certain spots...

Thank you

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi

The problem here is that you have at least 1 tight link on your chain.

When you adjust the chain with the stiff link on a sprocket it will give a different tautness to that when the link is between sprockets. If you put the bike on a paddock stand and spin the rear wheel by hand you'll notice the chain going tighter then looser then tighter and looser again.#

The reason for the noise is when the stiff link runs over the sprockets and doesn't fit properley, you'll notice it more if you adjust the chain at it's slackest as when it tightens up it will be too tight and cause a grating noise.

If you can't free the link (usually you can't) then it's a new chain and sprocket set, don't be tempted to just change the chain and not the sprockets as 1) it's bad economy at the best of times but 2) they are likely to be worn strangely anyway.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online