Just bought an R6 for my first bike

jwoody8
This post is 6301 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi. Guys. I have just bought my first road bike, a Yamaha YZF-R6 1999 model with just 4,500 miles on it. I have just passed my test and I live on the Isle of Man so I have the TT course to my disposal now :D

Being a resident of the Isle of Man since I was 3 years old, and my father being an ex racer, I have grown up riding off road since I can remember but have never got round to getting my licence and getting a road bike so my handling skills are pretty good but I was wondering if any of you guys have any tips about the handling on the R6 that may help me out on my first few runs out on it, being a road bike rider novice.

This is my first post, I thought I should sign up now I'm a Yamaha owner.

Thank guys, Jonathan. :P

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

only advise is take it easy and enjoy it!! You have some amazing roads at your disposal and ive heard the earlier R6's can bite a bit more than the later versions.

Steering dampers are useful at higher speeds as they can be a bit twitchy and ive heard power commanders can smooth the flat spot upto about 8k a bit.

Other than that ride safe and enjoy it!

Sorry if im teaching granny to suck eggs, i unfortunately dont know too much about the R6 specifically!

:blink:

I have got a steering damper fitted. I was told they were very important so made sure I got a bike with one already fitted professionally.

I pick the bike up tomorrow and weather permitting, I will get a lap or two in.

Will let you know how I get on, gonna be hard to sleep tonight, lol. :blink:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online