2007 royal star tour deluxe

raven
This post is 5725 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a new royal star, when in 4th gear at 90km and going into 5th it chugs.

I was told that 5th gear is over ride and I should be over 100km before going into 5th.

I would like to know if anyone else was given the same information.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have just purchased an XVS1300A and was informed by the Yamaha Dealer that 4th and 5th gears are OVERDRIVES, you'll find this info in the handbook also.

When riding I find the bike chugs at low rev's for example up to 60kph (35mph) I only use 1st or 2nd gear, then when above this speed I change up to 3rd and dont engage 4th gear until above 80kph (50mph) I use 5th gear at 100kph (60mph).

You can use say 5th gear at 80kph (50mph) but when you go to accelerate it WILL CHUG hence ChANGE DOWN gear.

I have just purchased an XVS1300A and was informed by the Yamaha Dealer that 4th and 5th gears are OVERDRIVES, you'll find this info in the handbook also.

When riding I find the bike chugs at low rev's for example up to 60kph (35mph) I only use 1st or 2nd gear, then when above this speed I change up to 3rd and dont engage 4th gear until above 80kph (50mph) I use 5th gear at 100kph (60mph).

You can use say 5th gear at 80kph (50mph) but when you go to accelerate it WILL CHUG hence ChANGE DOWN gear.

Thank you for this information.

• 1 year later...

Not too sure what 'Overdrives' are exactly, but yes - Your gear is too low for the revs you are asking.

After a while you should 'feel' the bike starting to 'strain' at higher revs, which will occur just after your revs pass the Upshift point. The inverse of this is a 'feeling' of the engine getting effortless, perhaps a bit 'limp'. The lack of throttle will be more evident. This happens after you pass the Downshift point.

After a while you should 'feel' the bike starting to 'strain' at higher revs, which will occur just after your revs pass the Upshift point. The inverse of this is a 'feeling' of the engine getting effortless, perhaps a bit 'limp'. The lack of throttle will be more evident. This happens after you pass the Downshift point.

sounds like me after a session on a saturday night :lol:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online