My Stolen DT125 Recovered from the Thames

delroy
This post is 5612 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My 98 DT125R was stolen from right outside my house last week. Luckily the Police found it within 24 hours.

Unfortunately, they found it on it's side in the River Thames, mostly submerged apart from one end of the handlebars. I've been told it was only in the water for a few hours at most.

Whatever lowlife nicked it also ripped off the ignition barrel, headlamp, clocks, speedo & rev counter cables, and smashed up the petrol cap.

Apart from replacing the missing/damaged parts, I'm assuming that I'm going to have to completely strip, clean and rebuild the bike before I can put it back on the road.

Has anyone here come across a situation like this? Are there things I must or mustn't do, or things that would probably be ok just left to dry? I've not tried doing anything with the bike yet, other than leaving it to dry out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

• 1 year later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My 98 DT125R was stolen from right outside my house last week. Luckily the Police found it within 24 hours.

Unfortunately, they found it on it's side in the River Thames, mostly submerged apart from one end of the handlebars. I've been told it was only in the water for a few hours at most.

Whatever lowlife nicked it also ripped off the ignition barrel, headlamp, clocks, speedo & rev counter cables, and smashed up the petrol cap.

Apart from replacing the missing/damaged parts, I'm assuming that I'm going to have to completely strip, clean and rebuild the bike before I can put it back on the road.

Has anyone here come across a situation like this? Are there things I must or mustn't do, or things that would probably be ok just left to dry? I've not tried doing anything with the bike yet, other than leaving it to dry out.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Chris

My bike has just been recovered too after thieves stole it! Ignition and steering lock gone !! Need to find a wiring diagram and wondered if you sorted yours ok

marie, this is an old thread and he has not posted at all last year. start a new thred with the title and you will get a better answer

drewpy

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online