Poor Engine Running

cogenhoekid
This post is 6326 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help please? my 1999 650 Dragstar has done 1800 miles, (yes I know), it will start ok, but usually won't run cleanly, intermitently it spits back thru the carbs, then wont tickover, I've checked all the usual stuff plugs cleaned carbs air cleaner but to no avail. It seems like a fuel problem with the poor running but then it goes and backfires!!! I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi All, I wonder if anyone can help please? my 1999 650 Dragstar has done 1800 miles, (yes I know), it will start ok, but usually won't run cleanly, intermitently it spits back thru the carbs, then wont tickover, I've checked all the usual stuff plugs cleaned carbs air cleaner but to no avail. It seems like a fuel problem with the poor running but then it goes and backfires!!! I'm at a bit of a loss. Thanks in advance.

it eightther sounds like an over fueling problem...i.e a sticking choke...

or possibly a ingition timing problem i.e a need for a new cdi unit.

i would check the choke doesn't stick, then check none of the spark plug leads are arc-ing across (best way is to start the bike in a REALLY dark place, then see if you can see any small sparks jumping across from the leads any where)

if this doesn't work, get back to us and we'll try and help you a bit more (trial and error my man!!)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online