Maintence question on a 2000 yzf600r

oogalydoogaly
This post is 6291 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi everyone, I just purchased my first bike, a 2000 yzf600r. It has 23,000 miles on it so I figured there needed to be some maintence done. The owner got new tires, sparks, and chain. The sprockets, clutch and brake seem to be good, The clutch is kind of lose but I can adjust that with the bolt on the cable right? So I was wondering if there was anything I needed to change since it has such high milage, i.e. the carbs. Thanks guys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi everyone, I just purchased my first bike, a 2000 yzf600r. It has 23,000 miles on it so I figured there needed to be some maintence done. The owner got new tires, sparks, and chain. The sprockets, clutch and brake seem to be good, The clutch is kind of lose but I can adjust that with the bolt on the cable right? So I was wondering if there was anything I needed to change since it has such high milage, i.e. the carbs. Thanks guys!

23,00 anit too bad, as long as the oil and oil filter are changed at the correct intervals.

Take it easy on her at first, building up your speed slowly over time, then if a problem arises sort it then.

The one bit of solid gold advice i would give to you and ANYONE reading this article is.. if you have a bike or car with an engine thats done over 3000 miles (anotherwords fully bedded in) buy some stuff called "ZX1" its an oil aditive that comes in a bright yellow box that you can buy from all sorts of diferent places inc Halfords, this stuff was used by people who race engines inc off shore power boat racers and the Ferrari formula one team. I used to destroy engines on my race bikes a lot more regularly before i used this stuff and i wouldn't run my road car or road bike without it!! its hard to explain here.. but go search it out then read on the side of the box what it does... Trust me im not getting paid to say this crap its brilliant!! and it will make your engine last about 3 times as long!! :D:D:D

I had a 2001 YZF600R and put 36k on it within 2and half years, and it still ran spot on. Just make sure it gets serviced properley and it will run for a long time.

I now have a 2004 R6 and it's got 35k on it, and as you do, you do start to think it's getting a bit tired and needs some work so last week I took out a new R6 and I actually realised mine was still spot on and it's all in the head that it's getting tired. After all it's not a lot of miles really.

I had a 2001 YZF600R and put 36k on it within 2and half years, and it still ran spot on. Just make sure it gets serviced properley and it will run for a long time.

I now have a 2004 R6 and it's got 35k on it, and as you do, you do start to think it's getting a bit tired and needs some work so last week I took out a new R6 and I actually realised mine was still spot on and it's all in the head that it's getting tired. After all it's not a lot of miles really.

I see, how much is alot of miles? 40k?

People will assume it's alot of milage purely because of what the annual average bike milage. But to be honest there's no reason why your engine shouldn't last until 100k at least. I think it was last week MCN where someone was asking a similiar question and got a reply saying that he'd known someone have an engine strip down at over 100k and you could still see the original honing marks on the cylinder walls.

• 2 weeks later...

dON'T WORRY I'VE SEEN THEM FOR SALE WITH OVER 60K, THE ENGINES WILL GO ON FOREVER. AS LONG AS OILS/FILTER IS DONE EVERY 4K. IT SHOULD HAVE HAD NEW BRAKE LINES AT 16K AND VALVE CLEARENCES CHECKED AT 2OK. CHECK YOUR DOWNPIPES FOR CORROSION, IF NOT ALREADY REPLACED WITH S/STEEL, IF NOT AND YOUR GONNA GO THROUGH WINTER TAKE THEM OFF AND PAINT UP WITH HEAT RESISTANT PAINT. MINE WENT AFTER A COUPLE OF WINTERS!!!. BEST PADS ARE EBC SINTERED IF THERE DOWN.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online