Tear Down Begins

Helpin Sis.
This post is 6195 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Helpin sis with her new bike.(my profile name) Posted an introduction yesterday.

http://www.yamahaclub.com/forums/Introduction-t6516.html

It's 1984 XS400 Maxim that runs but has some issues.

1. Left pipe stays cold when running. Cylinder not firing I assume??

2. Oil around left exhaust

3. Starts w/choke but cuts out the second you give it gas or try to take choke off.

4. Stalls when you try to put it gear.

That's all I know for now. Just began the tearddown. Here's some pics....

Any tips/advice on what to check first would be appreciated.

Thanks

Lino

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0010.jpg

Yuck!!!!! I think it's droppin down from the exhaust port

IMG_0004.jpg

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

1. Left pipe stays cold when running. Cylinder not firing I assume??
They all do that sir, it's a feature on this model. :rolleyes:

3. Starts w/choke but cuts out the second you give it gas or try to take choke off.
I have one just like it. Pilot jets blocked, apparently.

4. Stalls when you try to put it gear.
Clutch dragging? Put it in gear (engine off...) pull the clutch and try to move the bike. The clutch might need adjusting.

They all do that sir, it's a feature on this model. :rolleyes:

I have one just like it. Pilot jets blocked, apparently.

Clutch dragging? Put it in gear (engine off...) pull the clutch and try to move the bike. The clutch might need adjusting.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated. I'll check all that out. I'll post more once I get further alongI'm hoping it's nothing to serious Would love to get this bike running without spending a bunch of money. It's s starter bike for my sister who doesn't have a lot of extra $$$ to throw at it.

I have the carbs off the bike. Had them completely apart, did a good clean and noticed one of them is missing the pilot jet plug. Can anyone tell me what the plug does and where I can get one.? Is it critical for the carb to function properly?

Here's a couple pics. What do ya think? Do they look clean enough? First carbs I've ever done so not sure how clean they should be?

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

You might of notice in behind the carbs in the first pic. I started brushing the chrome on the engine brackets. I hit the carb bodies as well with scotchbrite pads and chrome cleaner. I'm doing most of the chrome on the bike (not much really) and doing away with the gold accents. Not a fan of the gold look.

IMG_0008.jpg

They do look clean, but it's the inside which is important. Remove the four screws holding the bottom on and look in there. Hopefully they won't be like mine were...

3234float_chambers.jpg

They do look clean, but it's the inside which is important. Remove the four screws holding the bottom on and look in there. Hopefully they won't be like mine were...

3234float_chambers.jpg

I had them completely apart and the bottom of the bowls had a yellowish film that cleaned up easy. I think it was the gas that was in them that dried. They were surprisingly very clean.

I had them completely apart and the bottom of the bowls had a yellowish film that cleaned up easy.
That yellowish film may also be partly blocking the jets in there. I would buy some card cleaning fluid and make sure they're clear.

Do not be tempted to use wire or anything to poke through the jets, this can enlarge them.

If you remove the jets, keep the bits separate as believe it or not, the left and right use different ones.

That yellowish film may also be partly blocking the jets in there. I would buy some card cleaning fluid and make sure they're clear.

Do not be tempted to use wire or anything to poke through the jets, this can enlarge them.

If you remove the jets, keep the bits separate as believe it or not, the left and right use different ones.

I did clean everything with a carb cleaner. I may have mixed up the jets though. Are they identifiable in some way?? I'll have to pull them out and make sure I've reassembled correctly.

Are they identifiable in some way??
Yep, they have the size stamped on them. You can see it if you look real closely. You don't need to remove them to see the markings.

See this pic for an idea.

According to my manual, the left one should be 127.5 and the right 117.5 or for the German model 132.5 / 130

Yep, they have the size stamped on them. You can see it if you look real closely. You don't need to remove them to see the markings.

See this pic for an idea.

According to my manual, the left one should be 127.5 and the right 117.5 or for the German model 132.5 / 130

Great that's what I was hoping. I'll check them tomorrow. Doing valves tomorrow as well. That should be a challenge.

Thanks for your help xmastree..

Lino