DT 100 Won't Start and Idles too Fast

Frank Johns
This post is 6331 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Recently obtained a 78 DT100 that had been sitting for a year. Wouldn't start with out priming it then it would die, so I cleaned the carb.

Now, it will still only start if I prime the carb. And once it starts it idles at full bore and, of course, smokes terribly. The idle adjustment seems to have no effect, and as far as I can tell the throttle cable isn't stuck.

What's my next step?

Thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Recently obtained a 78 DT100 that had been sitting for a year. Wouldn't start with out priming it then it would die, so I cleaned the carb.

Now, it will still only start if I prime the carb. And once it starts it idles at full bore and, of course, smokes terribly. The idle adjustment seems to have no effect, and as far as I can tell the throttle cable isn't stuck.

What's my next step?

Thanks.

My guess is the tickover is way too high, screw it completely in and then out a turn or so, try again.

(Had the same thing with my AG100 (DT100) a while ago).

Paul (Swindon)

What's my next step?

Thanks.

I would take that carb off again and go through it all step by step, making sure its all set up ok, and evrything is moving where it should be, then check the inlet rubbers are done up tight and haven't split as that would let in too much air. also make sure that your choke isn't getting stuck, i'd bet that'll sort it

I would take that carb off again and go through it all step by step, making sure its all set up ok, and evrything is moving where it should be, then check the inlet rubbers are done up tight and haven't split as that would let in too much air. also make sure that your choke isn't getting stuck, i'd bet that'll sort it

I figured going through the carb again would be be the next step (unfortunately). Thanks!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online