1981 yamaha 550 Seca headlight

spencerdog
This post is 6217 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello everyone, first I would like to say thank you for this forum! Now my issue...

I recently purchased a 1981 yamaha 550 Seca (I think XJ550 is the same thing?) Anyhow, my brother-in-law got it running and I have been learning to ride on it. It would tend to get a rattle on the front end at about 3-4K rpm's so I took the front faring off to see what it was. Turns out there is a thin silver trim around the headlight that had seemingly came loose. With that little trim coming off (it appears as though it had been spot-welded to some little tabs on the inside of the headlight assembly) I can't get the headlight to stay on the bike, the only thing keeping it in is the front faring. How do I get the headlight to stay?

Thanks!!!

• 2 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ever figure out what to do?

I had a similar problem..when riding my 82 seca home from buying it the headlight fell out along the way. After picking up what I could find of it, I held it in place with a tube of J/B stick weld,"perfect for everything", then using filler I filled in the space all the way around the lamp..then smoothed it down starting with a rough grit sand paper working to smooth....then painted the entire housing.

Downside is I cant get to the wiring with out ripping all my work apart...so Im looking around for a new head lamp assembly.

But from my other post I was sent this. Courtesy of yamahead

But from my other post I was sent this. Courtesy of yamahead

NO Prob! ;) ....gotta keep my fellow Seca owners turned onto some of the tips I've learned over the years. ;)

Spencer.....that link to MotoGrid is your best bet for a new replacement........I'm having to face the inevetable & clean out my garage in the next week or so........I might still have a spare Seca550 headlamp assembly...as I recall having 2 @ 1 point. :unsure:

If I find anything that might help, I'll PM ya....OK?

BTW.... :welcome: to the forum

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online