"Bother!" said Pooh as he took the shims back to the shop.

xmastree
This post is 6175 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Having finally found a manual for my old XS400 DOHC, I set about checking the valve clearances. Sure enough, they were all tight. One had no clearance at all, and that was the cylinder which doesn't like to play at first.

So, duly measured, noted and calculated I went to the shop to buy the three I needed. Tried to fit them last weekend only to find out they were too small. Not the thickness, but the diameter. They're the wrong shims. :angry:

Back to the shop today, and they have to order them...

I suppose their offer of "If you got the thicknesses wrong, bring them back and we'll change them" has expired now...

Arse.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Having finally found a manual for my old XS400 DOHC, I set about checking the valve clearances. Sure enough, they were all tight. One had no clearance at all, and that was the cylinder which doesn't like to play at first.

So, duly measured, noted and calculated I went to the shop to buy the three I needed. Tried to fit them last weekend only to find out they were too small. Not the thickness, but the diameter. They're the wrong shims. :angry:

Back to the shop today, and they have to order them...

I suppose their offer of "If you got the thicknesses wrong, bring them back and we'll change them" has expired now...

Arse.

If it was there fault for ordering the wrong shims, they are legaly bound to replace them for the right ones free of charge, or give you a FULL refund, as its not your fault, as long as you've still got the reciept...and you didn't take 12 months to get round to try fitting them ;):D

If it was there fault for ordering the wrong shims, they are legaly bound to replace them for the right ones free of charge
Oh yeah, they swapped them without question, but they had to order them rather than get them from their workshop. Originally, the guy said if the clearances still weren't right, they would take back the shims and give me different ones. Which they don't have to do really.

I'm not sure they'd do that with these.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online