R6 wont start + oil problem

i_am_tim
This post is 6333 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

just bought a 2001 R6 today, rode it home about 40 miles with a few mates, started fine and rode well

now, i try to set off to the post office and it takes a bit longer than it should to start, however gets going and is fine

when i get back i go to leave again and it wont start at all, managed to get a start with loads of throttle but needs to be kept fully open to hold a very weak idle, as soon as you wind off the throttle it dies

its def getting fuel, batteries a bit low but we managed to bump it, however again it wont hold an idle without lots the throttle. checked fuses and wiring for crossed connections and all seems to be fine. also the oil light has come on and despite plently of oil refuses to go off, this only happened after a few bump start attempts, and there are no oil leaks

if anyone can help i would really appreiciate it! :D

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

just bought a 2001 R6 today, rode it home about 40 miles with a few mates, started fine and rode well

now, i try to set off to the post office and it takes a bit longer than it should to start, however gets going and is fine

when i get back i go to leave again and it wont start at all, managed to get a start with loads of throttle but needs to be kept fully open to hold a very weak idle, as soon as you wind off the throttle it dies

its def getting fuel, batteries a bit low but we managed to bump it, however again it wont hold an idle without lots the throttle. checked fuses and wiring for crossed connections and all seems to be fine. also the oil light has come on and despite plently of oil refuses to go off, this only happened after a few bump start attempts, and there are no oil leaks

if anyone can help i would really appreiciate it! :D

Do you have any fuel in the tank?

Where are you?

Paul

Do you have any fuel in the tank?

Where are you?

Paul

yes i have fuel, and its getting past the valve under the tank, i havnt been able to check if its getting to the pistons yet as to check the spark plugs i need to remove the airbox and thats a bitch to do

and im in hampshire, basingstoke to be precise

how about you?

yes i have fuel, and its getting past the valve under the tank, i havnt been able to check if its getting to the pistons yet as to check the spark plugs i need to remove the airbox and thats a bitch to do

and im in hampshire, basingstoke to be precise

how about you?

Tim,

Sounds most like a fuel problem from your description - enough to cover the pilot jets and allow tickover, but not enough in the carbs for the main jets to keep the machine running. (hence the first question - dumb perhaps but the simplest possibility...)

Check the colour of the plugs, they should confirm lean/rich/okay running first of all - will help decide what to do next:

(The airbox is in the way? That'll be fun then)

I'd look at all the fuel routes first - has the R6 got a fuel pump (probably?): check fuel filters, confirm actual fuel height in the carb, check for air leaks (is this where you tell me the 2001 R6 is injection?!) etc.

Also check the air filter for damage/blocking (unlikely).

(Please confirm if carbs and fuel pump on your bike?)

But the oil light is an interesting issue - sounds like an earthing issue/bad connection, as you've already checked the fuse box check the connections onto the CDi, and any connector blocks are connected well. - may have been caused by the bumping, or may be related?

I'd charge up the battery to be sure - it shouldn't be needed at full charge, but that may make a difference (have you checked the voltage across the battery terminals?).

Actually, do those items above in reverse order, start with the battery and move onto CDi connection checks....

If it doesn't help or yields more questions, get back to the board?

Paul (Swindon)

i have now managed to get it started, with a full charge from a working charger it fires right up

i also think i know why it failed to start in the first place, i noticed a disconnected wire when i first got home, plugged it back in and i now know it was the oil level light, i expect its some kind of safety cut out that it wont run for long with the oil light on.

after double checking the level i took a test spin around the block, and noticed a faint knocking noise coming from the engine, killed it after 30 seconds or so, waited a few mins then started it again and the noise was still there! so i pushed it home, then fired it up again this morning and there is no noise :huh:

does this sound to you like an oil pump problem? there is definatly a good level but i guess oil could not be getting to the cylinders.

also the coolant reservoir is empty if that could be a cause. topped up now but i dont want to start it until i know what the oil problem is

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online