XVS125 Fuel Problem

scmackellar
This post is 6334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My XVS125 Dragster will run fine for a while and then all of a sudden lose power. It will tick over but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies. I've cleaned the Carb and the fuel tank, there was a lot of dirt in the fuel. What else can be the cause?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My XVS125 Dragster will run fine for a while and then all of a sudden lose power. It will tick over but as soon as I touch the throttle it dies. I've cleaned the Carb and the fuel tank, there was a lot of dirt in the fuel. What else can be the cause?

Was there muck in the carbs?

Did you put in an in-line filter on the petrol line?

Is the fuel tap the vacuum type, with a thin hose onto the top of the carb as well as the main hose into the carbs?

Is the air filter clean?

Does it misfire or back fire (or just not fire?)

Paul

Was there muck in the carbs?

Did you put in an in-line filter on the petrol line?

Is the fuel tap the vacuum type, with a thin hose onto the top of the carb as well as the main hose into the carbs?

Is the air filter clean?

Does it misfire or back fire (or just not fire?)

Paul

There was quite a bit of muck in the carb

I haven't put an inline filter in yet but will give that a try.

Yes it's a vacuum fuel tap

Airfilter is clean

It doesn't misfire or backfire, just stops running when I open the throttle

Thanks,

Scott

Please confirm what you did to clean the carbs - how extensive a clean was it?

If you've cleaned the carbs - which had muck in them - and then re-attached the tank without banging on an in-line filter, then it could have dirt in them again (even if the fuel tank was cleaned)....

Sounds like fuel starvation - check that the vacuum hose is connected well enough.

Does the fuel tap have a 'prime' position?

Have you made sure that the rubber hoses out of the bottom of the tank aren't nipped/caught on the frame etc?

Paul (Swindon)

(Where are you?)

I've re checked the carb and now fitted an inline filter with a see through hose and I can see theres not enough fuel getting through when the problem is happening. (It will tick over fine and also can run for several miles without a problem then all of a sudden will lose power and cut out if I open the throttle at all.)

I'll have a closer look at the vacuum hoses connections, none of the hoses are nipped/caught.

Yes there is a prime position on the fuel tap.

I'm in Argyll, Scotland.

Scott.

Scott,

try running her on 'prime' - this shouldn't be affected by either a poor vacuum hose connection, nor if the black hoses under the tank are nipped/kinked/full of emulsion-type stuff that would stop them from letting air into the tank as the fuel goes out (to avoid a vacuum in the tank that will hold back the fuel).

One thing as well, be sure that the in-line filter isn't some tiny ornate job - might restrict the flow itself! I tend to use larger ones for cars, then certain that enough fuel shall flow.

If she's okay on prime, then it's the vacuum pipe connection/black hoses/fuel tap itself, and not the carbs....

(The "okay for several miles" suggests vacuum building up in the tank - unless you're riding at -2°C, in which case it'd be carb icing!)

Paul

It run's fine on Prime.

The breather line for the fuel tank is fine. When the problem happened I opened the fuel cap with the spare key and no change.

Also when the problem is happening there is air in the line between the fuel tap and the filter, but when I move it to prime the fuel flows again.

It run's fine on Prime.

The breather line for the fuel tank is fine. When the problem happened I opened the fuel cap with the spare key and no change.

Also when the problem is happening there is air in the line between the fuel tap and the filter, but when I move it to prime the fuel flows again.

It's either the fuel tap, or the vacuum hose itself (perished etc) or badly fitting vacuum line, or attached to wrong part of carb.

Fuel tap kit can be purchased, but check the hose first - cheapest (free!) to check - suck on the end that should attach to the carbs, if fuel flows then the tap is fine....

Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online