Hello, Need some help!

Fox3
This post is 6243 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi there, I'm new to the forum, and new to motor bikes really!

I've been given this bike for free, I believe its a DT 175, It maybe a bit girly, but I'm sure it will do me for a first bike!

The problem is, its not been run for about 6 years, what do I need to do or check before I try and fire her up?

I've drained the fuel, and that's about it so far!

Things I know it needs are

-Kick start lever is missing

-I cant get it into any gears apart from first, I presume first is down, up for neutral then the rest follow?

-Some spokes are loose on the back wheel

I want to try get it running, then I can decide if its worth spending a bit of cash getting it going properly.

Anyone got any advice on how to fire it up?

Here are a couple of photos!

100_1815Medium.jpg

100_1818Medium.jpg

100_1819Medium.jpg

Cheers in advance for any replys!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I would certainly at least clean the spark plug and check there is a spark , If you dont chang the oil before you fire it up i wouldnt run it for long on the oil that is in it , it would be better to change it really.other than that I wouldnt do much untill you know it runs. Good luck :rolleyes:

Had a good do with the bike last night!!

Got a spark, good compression, the self lube oiling system works (sprays oil everywhere), It turns over nicely, I cleaned the tank out, cleaned of the spiders, cleaned out the carb, got the gears working, took off the chain and back wheel, and did it run?

A........... no.

Need some clean fuel and a kick start, getting the kick start today hopefully! I think it was over oiled, I was trying to run to with two stroke mixed fuel and the oil!

Pictures of progress attached!

103_1827.jpg

103_1826.jpg

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online