non starter

Noodleman
This post is 6334 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi to all, apologies that my first post is to ask advice on a problem, and im not very mechanically minded. i bought a 1995 tdm last week, and she had started ok for the first few times. however, when i went to start it two days ago all i got was the engine trying to turn over but seemingly no spark or sometjhing, and the more times i tried it, the lower the battery seemed to get. now when i went yesterday to try again all im getting is a clicking noise and the rev counter needle moves slightly. could it be the battery? which seems to be a nightmare to access as its away in below the petrol tank? how on earth do i get it out to charge it? maybe its something else that im not thinking of. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

not sure if this helps but i have had the same problems with a low batt. i found out if the batt. is not up to par the bike would not start.

hi to all, apologies that my first post is to ask advice on a problem, and im not very mechanically minded. i bought a 1995 tdm last week, and she had started ok for the first few times. however, when i went to start it two days ago all i got was the engine trying to turn over but seemingly no spark or sometjhing, and the more times i tried it, the lower the battery seemed to get. now when i went yesterday to try again all im getting is a clicking noise and the rev counter needle moves slightly. could it be the battery? which seems to be a nightmare to access as its away in below the petrol tank? how on earth do i get it out to charge it? maybe its something else that im not thinking of. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

the clicking sound IS the battery being too flat, it may not be shagged though as it just may need to be charged up (off the bike so not to upset the electrics and fuses) best bet to start with is to buy a haynes manual.... it will guide you through step by step in an easy to understand way, you can get a cheap second hand one off ebay, or a new one from Halfords or your local bike shop. as for not starting it could be fuel or electrics, try your fuses first, the check the fuel is getting through ok (The manual will help you with both of these if you need it)

let us know how you get on, Dave.

• 2 weeks later...

the clicking sound IS the battery being too flat, it may not be shagged though as it just may need to be charged up (off the bike so not to upset the electrics and fuses) best bet to start with is to buy a haynes manual.... it will guide you through step by step in an easy to understand way, you can get a cheap second hand one off ebay, or a new one from Halfords or your local bike shop. as for not starting it could be fuel or electrics, try your fuses first, the check the fuel is getting through ok (The manual will help you with both of these if you need it)

let us know how you get on, Dave.

Thanks for all the advice, i took the bike to my local mechanic, and as thought it was the battery. So a new one was fitted along with new spark plugs. She is starting now perfectly fine. He also advised me that when im stopping the bike after a run i should turn the petrol to off and let the engine run for about 30 seconds to allow the fuel left in the carbs to clear. Is this common knowledge for the tdm? thanks again everyone.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online