Wierd ignition problem!!!

This post is 6014 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hers one for the books. I have a late 70's dt 175 where one minute it worked fine next it died. the ignition failed. checked all components from ignition to the points. Everything checked fine and still no spark . I'm not a mechanic but have enough years or experience with engines to solve my own engine problems by refering to a manual of some sort, but this one really stumps me.

When the flywheel is seated properly on the crankshaft you get no spark, when you move it out away from the engine about 1/8" of an inch we get a nice healthy spark. Now a simple solution woul be to put a spacer behind the flywhee and solve the issue unfortunatly the shaft is tappered the flywheel would not sit securely in place and probably vibrate badly. I thought the flywheel maybe grounding on some component but clearance seem to be present. Has anyone encounterd a similar problem or have a solution?

• 6 months later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hers one for the books. I have a late 70's dt 175 where one minute it worked fine next it died. the ignition failed. checked all components from ignition to the points. Everything checked fine and still no spark . I'm not a mechanic but have enough years or experience with engines to solve my own engine problems by refering to a manual of some sort, but this one really stumps me.

When the flywheel is seated properly on the crankshaft you get no spark, when you move it out away from the engine about 1/8" of an inch we get a nice healthy spark. Now a simple solution woul be to put a spacer behind the flywhee and solve the issue unfortunatly the shaft is tappered the flywheel would not sit securely in place and probably vibrate badly. I thought the flywheel maybe grounding on some component but clearance seem to be present. Has anyone encounterd a similar problem or have a solution?

This just means that the voltage has risen high enough to jump the gap. I think that it is producing a low voltage normally, for whatever reason perhaps as you have written that the windings have gone to ground (earth). Take the flywheel off and give it a good clean, refit and try again.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online