Noisey cam chain

andyc
This post is 6345 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi,

I would be greatful if anyone could give me some advise on my 2002 FZS600 , just purchased this bike and it performs very well. But at tickover the cam chain is quite noisey , the dealer has replaced the tensioner but no change. At higher revs the noise seems to disappear but that might be because its masked by the engine noise. NO performance issues at all but the dealer will replace the cam chain if we suspect its had it. The bike has done 18K miles so i dont think it should be word too bad. Engine oil and oil filter also replaced with no change so im wondering if this is just part of its character ?

Thanks in advance

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi.

I've a 2003 FZS600 (Foxeye) - low miles, no camchain rattle.

Wouldn't expect a bike like this to need a chain before 35-40K miles (there are probably instructions on measuring the chain stretch in the manual) unless it's had a bit of a hard life (but that's only a guess, don't assume it's been raced/wheelied - could be a 'faulty' tensioner blade or sticking tensioner (I'd clean it myself to be sure)....

Where are you?

Paul (Swindon)

Hi,

I would be greatful if anyone could give me some advise on my 2002 FZS600 , just purchased this bike and it performs very well. But at tickover the cam chain is quite noisey , the dealer has replaced the tensioner but no change. At higher revs the noise seems to disappear but that might be because its masked by the engine noise. NO performance issues at all but the dealer will replace the cam chain if we suspect its had it. The bike has done 18K miles so i dont think it should be word too bad. Engine oil and oil filter also replaced with no change so im wondering if this is just part of its character ?

Thanks in advance

Hi.

I've a 2003 FZS600 (Foxeye) - low miles, no camchain rattle.

Wouldn't expect a bike like this to need a chain before 35-40K miles (there are probably instructions on measuring the chain stretch in the manual) unless it's had a bit of a hard life (but that's only a guess, don't assume it's been raced/wheelied - could be a 'faulty' tensioner blade or sticking tensioner (I'd clean it myself to be sure)....

Where are you?

Paul (Swindon)

Hello Paul,

Thanks for the reply , is the tensioner blade a seperate component to the actual tensioner . I havnt had time get a manual as yet. I would imagine its a faily big job. Im arranging to listen to soemone elses 2002 model who lives very close so i can compare. Simple answer i guess would be to get the dealer to replace but dont really want to go messing around too much if not required as i say it performs solidly and as you say the chain shouldnt need to be replaced at this mileage.

Im in Gloucestershire.

Cheers

AndyC

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online