death by spark plug

kendo phil
This post is 6226 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have in my back garden a VFR400 which I intend to rebuild at some point. It has be sat under tarpaulin for the last six month and when I wandered passed it yesterday I notice the cover had blown off. I lent over in and gave the throttle a pull, seized solid - bugger I thought! I took the tank off to find that the carbs were under water (god knows how) starting to panic I removed the carbs to find the inlet tracts full of water - SHIT!!!! I took the plugs out, now being a V4 I had to take the rad off to get the front 2 out. The back 2 point at the seat and without a triple jointed hand you cannot get them out. So I left them loose, but undone in the plug holes. At this point i wandered off and got an old sierra battery and my jump leads.

My plan was to connect the battery up and after checking the engine was not seized by turning it by hand with a spanner then pump the water out afterwards. Unfortunately my clunky jump leads shorted the terminal on the solenoid and fired the engine over. The resulting chaos was that the water filled bores forced there way out through the front 2 plug hole and soaked my live battery charger. This was the least of my problems as the rear 2 banks still complete with loose plugs went of like a twin shot gun, one plug was caught by the tarp and embedded itself upto the thread. The other plug just missed me firing with a plume of smoking water about 10 foot in the air clean over an 8 foot high brick wall and out of my garden and out onto the road.

I gingerly wandered around to the back of my house and found the errant plug, now shattered on the floor. I picked up the bits and buggered off before anybody asked any questions.

My mate recons I could have been the first person to have been shot with a NGK plug. Bloody dangerous game this motorcycling!

Please if you have done anything as daft feel free to make me feel better and post it here!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Not quite as bad as that

Yesterday trying to my bike started (it had been kept outside for two years before I got it) for the first time.

New battery fully charged, new plugs, no key so hot wired it. just get it running you understand, and checked engine and clutch had not seized

Starter turns fine but engine did not catch.

Checked fuel coming out of tank ok

Spark plugs bone dry(should be flooded me thinks) So fuel not getting through carborator

Pours some petrol into pistion and replaces spark plug

This time you can hear the engine trying to catch but still fails to start

Fealing rather good at this sign removed another plug and put some petrol in another piston to try again.

Now at this point I should add that I was working with the garage door open and the bike situated half in and half out of the garage.

Leans over the bike to press the starter, once no joy, second time it gave out an almighty back fire. The noise must have echoed round the grage and back out I was deaf in one ear for about half an hour. I honestly thought someone had fired a gun at first

:eek2: I quickly wheeled it back in and shut the garage door before the neighbours had a chance to come out and see what was going on.

Guest Tomg

thats a pretty impressive sotry kendo.

imagine the jokes people would make at hospital with you with a spark plug in yoru neck or summit.

kick start your day....

mental stimulation...

did you spark an idea sir....

i could go on...

but i won't

the only slightly stupid thing ive done is take the exhaust pipe off the pike ans start it up.

it sounds liek the spawn of satan collapsing a mountain using enough force to move a planet hahahaha!!!

I wouldnt mind, but I am just getting over a concussion that I caused myself a few weeks ago, also working on one of my bikes. Spent hours in the hospital being checked for detached retinas - deeply, deeply unpleasant!

the only slightly stupid thing ive done is take the exhaust pipe off the pike ans start it up.

My oldest lad did that once with an SR250 I once had....

Running that way isn't as near as bad as when you shut it off......then the exhaust valves cool off too fast & CRACK!

Then it wouldn't run @ all! :angry:

Had to pull the head & lap the valves & re-assemble before I could get it to cough to life again. :rolleyes:

Ahhhhhh....the Joys of Parenthood! :D

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online