Engine noise

Edstar
This post is 6352 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The bike is a 2005 roadstar 1700. I bought the bike used, has 7000 kms, about 3500 miles. I've only had it for days, took my first good cruise on it when I noticed between 1500-2000 rpm's under light acceleration a light engine knock. It wasn't there when I started out, so it seems to happen only when the engine is warmed up. I use to dyno test engines for a living and am used to listening for all kinds of noises, maybe this is what it's suppose to sound like? It has cobra pipes and has been re-jetted. Any ideas?

Sure do love the bike and am hoping this is nothing to be concerned about. Can any one help?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I encountered same problem with my Thundercat, same diagnostic but is nothing to worry about ... Problem was partially solved with an oil change, a good oil , but it probably re-appear close to the next oil change ...

It seemed to me that noises were coming from the valve clearances that are posible to be a little bit wider than normal. If the noise its not too anoying and its not hearable when the engine is warm enough, is nothing to worry about. Its better that the valve clearance to be a little bit wider than too tight.

I encountered same problem with my Thundercat, same diagnostic but is nothing to worry about ... Problem was partially solved with an oil change, a good oil , but it probably re-appear close to the next oil change ...

It seemed to me that noises were coming from the valve clearances that are posible to be a little bit wider than normal. If the noise its not too anoying and its not hearable when the engine is warm enough, is nothing to worry about. Its better that the valve clearance to be a little bit wider than too tight.

Thanks for the reply TCat

I changed the oil to a castrol 20-50 and it is quieter, but still there .

I will ride it and see how it goes

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online