TTR250 2006 - anyone had carb problems?

mazz1972
This post is 6164 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Howdy from New Zealand :D

A mate of mine has a 2006 TTR250 which he purchased new in September 2006.

Every since he has had the bike, it has had problems. It was "surging" at "tootling" speed at about quarter throttle.

Eventually the shop concluded there was a carb problem - over the past 8 months they have replaced the main jet, drilled out the pilot jet, replaced the pilot jet etc, and it's still no better.

My mate has an older model TTR250 with exactly the same carb, so put the old carb on the new bike and it went absolutely fine.

Yamaha's pathetic excuse for this problem is that the bikes now have to be tuned to meet stricter emission controls and so probably wont run 100% right. Also they say that no-one else probably no-one else with that bike "tootles" around at quarter throttle so wouldn't encounter the problem. They dismissed that the bike went fine with the older bike's carb.

Has anyone else has a similar "surging"/carb problem with an 06 TTR250?

Cheers

M

• 1 month later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Howdy from New Zealand :D

A mate of mine has a 2006 TTR250 which he purchased new in September 2006.

Every since he has had the bike, it has had problems. It was "surging" at "tootling" speed at about quarter throttle.

Eventually the shop concluded there was a carb problem - over the past 8 months they have replaced the main jet, drilled out the pilot jet, replaced the pilot jet etc, and it's still no better.

My mate has an older model TTR250 with exactly the same carb, so put the old carb on the new bike and it went absolutely fine.

Yamaha's pathetic excuse for this problem is that the bikes now have to be tuned to meet stricter emission controls and so probably wont run 100% right. Also they say that no-one else probably no-one else with that bike "tootles" around at quarter throttle so wouldn't encounter the problem. They dismissed that the bike went fine with the older bike's carb.

Has anyone else has a similar "surging"/carb problem with an 06 TTR250?

Cheers

M

I had the same problem on my 2002.

It's running lean, you need to up the pilot jet to a 52.5 from the stock 50.

Check out this site for more help

http://www.ttr250.com/

Cheers

M_W

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem on my 2002.

It's running lean, you need to up the pilot jet to a 52.5 from the stock 50.

Check out this site for more help

http://www.ttr250.com/

Cheers

M_W

Hey guys, Ive just today joined the Yamaha Owners Club, not real sure how to drive the page but here goes.

I have a 2000 TTR250 which has the surging issue you mentioned. I recently installed a Staintune pipe which aside from adding very little power also made the surging slightly worse ! I have raised the jet needle one notch (lowered the clip 1 notch) to recover the midrange rev which was lost after installing the new pipe. The surging remains but will try a larger pilot jet as you mentioned - thanks. Trailpodder.