synchronize 4 carbs

fj-1200
This post is 6340 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I just rebuilt the carbs on my 86 fj1200 and someone told me that they sound like there out of sync.Can anyone tell me how I can do this myself,or possibly tell me about a web sight that could get me thru this. thanks in advance ... Josh

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's not very difficult to do @ all......IF you have a set of vacuum guages....or what is also referred to as a set of Carb Styx....(popualr brand-name)

Once these are hooked up to each vacuum port on your intake boots.....then from idle up to around 3k rpm, the carbs are adjusted so they're all pulling the same vacuum levels....by turning the sychronizing screws located between each carb @ the linkage.

I'll try & get a pic up of mine so you'll know what you're after. ;)

I have 4 individual vacuum gauges that read in psi's will they work? If so what kind of vacuum should I look for in psi's and thanks

They should do, so long as they have some kind of dampening set-up (or the needles will ossicilate too much and be un-readable).

Need to balance the outer pairs first (balance 1 and 2 together, using teh balance screw between the two (accessible from the top), then balance 3 and 4 - reading is not overly important, but they must be as close as possible (in pairs) - you're not aiming for a particular psi etc, just the same reading on each pair of gauges.

Once the outer two pairs are balanced, then you balance the pairs using the balance screw in between carbs 2 and 3.

Job done.

Not particularly clear, but should become clearer when you look at the carbs on the bike.

Bike should be warmed up/taken for a short run before balancing.

Need to keep fuel going to the carbs during the procedure, and need the tank off to access the vacuum spigots and balance screws....

Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online