Clutch cover plate reassembly

beiswtj
This post is 6341 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

The pull rod has play in it, like it is floating in no-man's-land. So I install the cover, slide the pin down the slot, and it hooks up to the pull rod in the clutch. When you rotate the pin to hook up the clutch cable, it will only rotate a little bit, just like the pull rod is only moving about in the no-man's-land area. It's not springy.

Now with that said, here's the background...I was riding home the other day and the bike wasn't shifting right. I get home and found that it had developed an oil leak, and was low on oil. The low oil idiot light had not come on though. So I fixed the oil leak(crank seal), and started up the street. However, it was now nearly impossilbe to shift. I could get it from first to second, and when I pulled the clutch lever you could hear some squealing, but the clutch did seem to disengage the trans. So I got back to the house, pulled the cover off and just looked at the clutch. Didn't see anything, not that I knew what I was looking for. However, now the shift lever is freed up, and can be operated by hand. Put the bike in neutral and I can move it back and forth without hearing any moaning or squealing(before I took the cover off the bike was hard to move even in neutral like something was binding). I had originally assumed that I fried the trans, but now I'm thinking the clutch is the problem. It's just weird to me that the clutch lever worked fine until I took the cover off, so I'm obviously doing something wrong.

Sorry for being so long, but I'm thoroughly confused.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The vertical rotating rod that actuates the clutch assembly through the top of the clutch cover has a flat side to it on the internal end where it meets the clutch hub. Sounds like you might have that rotating rod pointing the wrong direction so the flat side is pointing away from the hub? :unsure::headscratch:

Maybe post your question HERE......they seem pretty knowledgable. ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online