XT350 Rattle

This post is 6258 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have an 86 XT350, I had the motor rebuilt, and with that the timing chain was replaced, along with the valves. The problem I have is, the motor seems to have a top end rattle. It sounds like a timing chain, or valves to me, but I am reasured by my mechanic that all it tight and in adjustment. What else could be making this noise? Is it a common noise for these bikes? It seems to have all the power it should, and starts and runs fine.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Is there a way to check this with out taking the motor apart?

Yes sure just unbolt it from the back off the cylinder and apply pressure on it,if it moves from

the position its(goes back) then its faulty and will let pressure off the cam chain which in turn will

let your cam chain slip on the cam shaft wheels and then bent valves,this is what happend to my XT350.

Yes sure just unbolt it from the back off the cylinder and apply pressure on it,if it moves from

the position its(goes back) then its faulty and will let pressure off the cam chain which in turn will

let your cam chain slip on the cam shaft wheels and then bent valves,this is what happend to my XT350.

Thanks now I might know why the valves just bent in mine last year.... I will see if my mechanic looked at that.. I will play with it this weekend, and see if I can get it to move.

Thanks again for your help.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online