1981 XS400 HELP

MUD707
This post is 6269 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I recently was given a 1981 xs400 to me from my father in-law. It ran fine for a couple of days (only went around my farm) and then started blowing white smoke and smells like its burning oil. I decided to drain the oil and I noticed the oil smells like gasoline and is it was gritty. So I think the rings are shot everything else seems good. Does anyone know what amount of torque I should use when I reassemble the engine. I don't want to over torque the bolts and strip them, or have them to loose where it will loose compression. Any help would be appreciated.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It could be the rings MUD......but the valve guides might also be the culprit. :unsure:

BTW..... :welcome: to the forum. ;)

How would you know if it was the valves? I know the engine taps, but would the valves cause the oil to smell like gas. I plan on draining the oil I just put in it after I let it run for a litte to see if it smell like gas also. this is the first bike I owned since my cr80 when I was 13 and my dad worked on that one for me, but he passed on a few years ago so I'm not real sure where to start. I like the bike and would take it to a mechanic, but I'm tight on funds right now.

Sounds very much like a blown head gasket, if there is a lot of white smoke.

The head gasket is blowing down the cam chain guide. This will also cause the oil to smell of fuel as gas will be being pushed down the cam chain slot into the crank.

Adam.

Sounds very much like a blown head gasket, if there is a lot of white smoke.

The head gasket is blowing down the cam chain guide. This will also cause the oil to smell of fuel as gas will be being pushed down the cam chain slot into the crank.

Adam.

O.k thanks for the tips I'll check them out later tonight. meanwhile if anyone else might have any good ideas keep them coming please. By the way what is the differance between a xs400h and xs400sh?

So I stopped at the Miller's Yamaha of uniontown which is my local Yamaha shop today to get a estimate on my bike if I brought it in for them to do the work. Their head mechanic told me that they won't work on my bike b/c of how old it was. Is this the kind of service most Yamaha dealers have or is it just my local dealer. My wife suggested buying a new bike instead of fixing this one, but if I do I'm not to sure if it will be from them.

So I stopped at the Miller's Yamaha of uniontown which is my local Yamaha shop today to get a estimate on my bike if I brought it in for them to do the work. Their head mechanic told me that they won't work on my bike b/c of how old it was. Is this the kind of service most Yamaha dealers have or is it just my local dealer. My wife suggested buying a new bike instead of fixing this one, but if I do I'm not to sure if it will be from them.

I ran into the same problem with my local yamaha place, but there are a couple of mechanics in the area that deal with my XS. Problem is they are about 50-65 dollars an hour on top of the parts I need. Best thing to do, if you have the money, is find a place that sells old bikes; more than likely they will have a mechanic that will work on it. If you do not have the money, then buy a Haynes manual for the bike. The book will give you a total tear down/build up for you bike. Parts can be found on the Yamaha website, so if you run into a part you need go to their website and see what the part number is. Sometimes you can order from the dealership or you can find a site that sells parts. Either way the money you spend will probably be less than buying a new bike. Im in the same boat, but I am going to chop mine and rebuild the engine. It will probably cost me less than a grand to do it. GOOD LUCK!!

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online