77 XS 400 Help

Chopcraft
This post is 6275 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Ok I got this bike from my parents neighbor who was just going to haul the thing to the dump. Anyway, the only thing I could salvage was the engine. I do need new clutch plates, cam chain, and pistons. Oh and there is another piece that is on the left side of the engine that was completely off, but I have no idea what it is. Looks like a timing mechanism or thats what was left of it. My question is does any one have any info on how to fully rebuild one of these engines. I was going to make a bobber out of it (I hope that is not beeing sacreligous.) I cant figure out if the spark plugs still connect to the ignition cores or do they hook somewhere else. I really just need someone to put me in the right direction. All comments are welcome even the negative ones.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Ok I got this bike from my parents neighbor who was just going to haul the thing to the dump. Anyway, the only thing I could salvage was the engine. I do need new clutch plates, cam chain, and pistons. Oh and there is another piece that is on the left side of the engine that was completely off, but I have no idea what it is. Looks like a timing mechanism or thats what was left of it. My question is does any one have any info on how to fully rebuild one of these engines. I was going to make a bobber out of it (I hope that is not beeing sacreligous.) I cant figure out if the spark plugs still connect to the ignition cores or do they hook somewhere else. I really just need someone to put me in the right direction. All comments are welcome even the negative ones.

Thanks

best get a haynes manual and read that, I did see an xs400 chopper whilst browsing the other day. Unfortunatley I can't remember what the site was called. If I find it I will post.

Drewpy