XJR1300SP - Oil from Airbox overflow pipe

Garry
This post is 6273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, I've got an XJR1300 SP. Recently started to get oil running from one of the overflow pipes.

Traced the pipe up to the air box.

I cant think why so much oil is gathering there. The Haynes manual gives no clues.

Anyone got any info on where the oil is coming from and what I need to do to remedy the fault?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Hi, I've got an XJR1300 SP. Recently started to get oil running from one of the overflow pipes.

Traced the pipe up to the air box.

I cant think why so much oil is gathering there. The Haynes manual gives no clues.

Anyone got any info on where the oil is coming from and what I need to do to remedy the fault?

have you checked oil level in window? do you do lots of short runs could be emulsifing when engine breaths then parked on side stand it runs out?

Appears to be no sign of moisture ingress.

I had a word with yam mechanic. he says that the crankcase breathes through the airbox.

I'm going to do a copression test, as he says it may be the rings going.

For information, he says it is more normal to happen when over filling with oil... the excess just gets blown up into the airbox. But this not the case here.

i hope its just the rings, and not the valve guides. I'm off to the TT Races on it in 4 weeks so I need it on the road by then

Got a similar problem with my FJ1200, I have exhaust and oil coming from my crankcase breather. I did a compresion test and found that the Rings on pot 1 were U/S.

Have at the moment got the barrels off getting honed and a new piston Kit.

I do not run an airbox (S&B indi filters) so I have a crankcase Filter (Instead of running up into airbox) but the XJR lump is the same as the FJ.

What you are experiancing is crank case pressure (Not oil pressure) this is probably caused by broken or sticking piston rings.

Hope this helps

Adam.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online