1986 FJ1200

lownotslow
This post is 6273 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hey folks I'm new to Yamaha's. I've been looking for a solid sport/touring bike and found an 86 FJ1200 locally with just under 21k miles. It has been ragged on a bit from the looks of it, but doesn't appear to have been dropped.

I understand that 2nd gear can be chancy on these bikes, as well as the clutch master cylinder seal. Is there anything else I should really look out for before purchasing this bike?

Bascially any info to help me make an informed decision would be great, I don't want to buy this thing and have to split the case 50 miles down the road.

Thanks

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Engine's are pretty bullet proof, but as you already stated 2nd gear pops out on early models & the clutch slave seals are prone to blowing.

Also check Fork seals and rear shock and linkages. but apart from that these beast are renowend for going on forever.

Adam.