Whats wrong with my bike?

frylock
This post is 6260 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a 1998 suzuki rm 80(I known this is a yamaha forum but i could'nt find a good suzuki forum) and it has a few problems and I can't figure out what's wrong.

One problem is that when I first start the bike and ride it,it has alot of power and takes off real good but when I start riding it for a while and start trying to do wheelies it looses power and it becomes slower to take off.If I leave the bike for about 30-60 minutes and ride again it will get its power back.

Another poroblem is that for some reason my front wheel is a little crooked and it is causing the disk brake to rub against the pads when it gets to the part where its bent....could this be because the bearings are bad?

Also today I was riding and I was in 6 gear riding at maximum speed and all of a sudden the bike had a tremendous loss of power and it would stall if i didnt keep reving it.It would still go but it would go really slow and it would take forever for it to get in the powerband and the powerband was very weak.

If you have an idea of why these things are happening let me know what you think.

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

have you checked you air filter or opened up your carb? it sounds like your jets could be plugged. As for the front wheel, i really cant say w/out a pic. sry

Check your spark plug right after this power loss scenario......it can tell you alot ;)

Might be a iffy ignition component? :unsure: ......that get's worse as it get's up to operating temps.

That might be why the power seems restored after sitting for @ least 30 minutes to cool down. ;)

have you checked you air filter or opened up your carb? it sounds like your jets could be plugged. As for the front wheel, i really cant say w/out a pic. sry

I dont have an air filter on it so that cant be the problem :D .Well I know theres something wrong with the carberator because it'll start leaking every now and then but I've rebuilt the carb twice and it still does the same thing.I've been told that carberators that have the flat sliding valve go bad after a while so I probably need a new one.Also I found out it's just the disk thats bent so I gotta get a new one.

I thought the problem might be that the powervalve was stuck but I checked and it's not.What happens is I start it up and when I rev it up the rpms jump from high to low and high to low and if i pull the throttle back all the way the bike shuts off.I noticed that there's alot of oil around the pipe where it connects to the engine and the bike smokes alot more than it used to.I mix the gas and oil at 50:1 and ive been running it with that mixture for a long time so it can't be that.I checked the spark and it looks pretty good and the engine compression seems the same as before.Yamahead may be right...maybe there is an ignition component thats no good.If thats it then what component could it be?

maybe there is an ignition component thats no good.If thats it then what component could it be?

Could be a stator or pick-up coil down @ the crank. :unsure:

My XT had the same symptom until it finally gave up on the freeway one day on the way to work. <_<