head bearing

mattfz6
This post is 6352 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

After 5000 miles on my fz6 my head baring has broken. The warranty has expiered by a couple of months and iI now have a bill of around £170. I am not an aggressive rider in the fact I don't wheelie down the roads. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? I was wondering if i was to put thicker oil (MOTUL FORK OIL EXPERT, MEDIUM/HEAVY 15W ) in the front forks would this give me less dive when applying the breaks therfore cause less stress on the front end? PLEASE HELP!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

less dive on the front end is likely to put more stress on the bearing. If the forks don't absorb the energy where's the next contact point ... the head stock !!

less dive on the front end is likely to put more stress on the bearing. If the forks don't absorb the energy where's the next contact point ... the head stock !!

Thanks fella, didn't think of that. Are there any solutions to this problem because the front has more dive than my tm 250 crosser. I ain't kidding

Might be worth having the forks serviced if you think they're a bit niff naff.

However, comparing them to a crosser .... on a crosser you have loads of travel and can set the Compression and rebound dampening to suit the terrain. If I recall on a Fazer you can't set the compression dampening so they'll compress at a factory preset and the only way of changing that is to put thicker oil in the legs. but this brings us back to the original comment of increasing load onto the headstock.

I don't think the firmness you'll get from a fazer forks is going to cause your head bearing to fail so quickly. It's possible that it's most likely just unlucky that they went at all so early in it's life. Get the bearing changed, check what adjustment is on the fazer forks as I'm not sure about that particular year (guessing it's a early 2005 model considering it's just out it's warrenty period) and then see if you can change the compression dampening.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online