1982 YZ 250

This post is 6239 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a chance to pick up a 1982 YZ 250, that appears in very good shape. It has never been apart, still on factory bore and appears compeletly original. The person selling says it runs very well but is cold hearted and hard to start. Since I've been out of MX bikes for 30 years, what should I look for a problem areas on this specific bike?

I have reasonable mechanicle skills and maintain a 2 strole 1972 Mach 3 Kawa street bike. Are there any NLA parts I need to look out for? I have seen the decal kits available but what about pistons and internals available or are the an Ebay search item?

Thanks in advance

Mike

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have a chance to pick up a 1982 YZ 250, that appears in very good shape. It has never been apart, still on factory bore and appears compeletly original. The person selling says it runs very well but is cold hearted and hard to start. Since I've been out of MX bikes for 30 years, what should I look for a problem areas on this specific bike?

I have reasonable mechanicle skills and maintain a 2 strole 1972 Mach 3 Kawa street bike. Are there any NLA parts I need to look out for? I have seen the decal kits available but what about pistons and internals available or are the an Ebay search item?

Thanks in advance

Mike

most of those bikes are cold hearted. probably hard to start because of worn rings. that old and stock bore, may need a good honing and a new set of rings. may even need bored. shouldn't be too hard to get parts for.

most of those bikes are cold hearted. probably hard to start because of worn rings. that old and stock bore, may need a good honing and a new set of rings. may even need bored. shouldn't be too hard to get parts for.

:thumb:

the more you ride them the harder you ride them the harder the are to wake from their cold, web ridden coma.

everyone knows two strokes need high maintenance (here i go making assumptions again)

you should be able to source parts for an 82 yz....... a good friend of mine just completly rebuilt a 1978 yz, all new parts too.

good luck (if you decide to buy)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online