XS750 (1979)

jumpwin
This post is 5064 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just got a '79 xs750 for next to nothing, bought it blind,it's in really good condition, It runs superbly, engine tone is lovely, but It's not my bag, and there's next to no information on them at all, only that they are a real pile if s**t!!!

Is this true?

Mine doesn't like corners and 50mph makes my sphincter contract, is this normal?

does anybody like these bikes? if so why???

sorry bout all the questions, but i really know JACK about my bike, i know I like the look, that's about it!

so in short.

What's it's value? should I keep it? are they dependable?

Cheers in advance.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

sounds like the swing arm bushes have gone, you can check by the sideways play on the swingarm 1mm max (is on my xs400)

the electrics on those bike had a reputation along with the cam chain.

I agree that they are great looking bikes, the 850 was the updated 750 with all the niggles sorted.

have a trail through the old forum via the search system as I'm sure that someone has asked the same question.

BTW check the middle gear box oil as that gets forgotten at service times!!

• 4 months later...

Hi from Australia,

Keep the bike. I have a 1976 XS750D model. Silver/blue tank. I am foreever being waved down and people want to check out my bike. I have being told mine is the only original model left in my town. The bike was known for middle pistons siezing, but if engine oil was changed and kept topped up, this fixed the problem. Restore the bike, its a rare classic. There aren't many left. I am proud of mine and would never part with it. If you would like a picture of my bike or more info, let me know your email address.

All the best,

John

Australia.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just got a '79 xs750 for next to nothing, bought it blind,it's in really good condition, It runs superbly, engine tone is lovely, but It's not my bag, and there's next to no information on them at all, only that they are a real pile if s**t!!!

Is this true?

Mine doesn't like corners and 50mph makes my sphincter contract, is this normal?

sorry bout all the questions, but i really know JACK about my bike, i know I like the look, that's about it!

so in short.

Cheers in advance.

well if you still got the xs and ever decide to get rid of it let me know as got an xs750 trike and engine running like a piece of **** due to previouse owners neglect.cheers

• 5 months later...

Is this true?

so in short.

Cheers in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

Just picked up a XS750-2D with 11,600 miles from the origional owner. Looks it came with all the accessories that could come with it also. Bike rides very good for its age and besides being very cold blooded it runs nice. To my knowledge the engine has never been opened. Carbs have been rebuilt and general matainance to the engine and drivetrain. You can see where the mount for the fairing was repaired once and also the exhaust has had a few repairs to it over the years. Feel like I got a real piece of history here and the fact it rides nice makes me feel good about this purchase.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online