1982 650 Maxim Help

Deathjester
This post is 6307 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Heres the deal.

Ive got a perfect 1982 Yamaha Maxim 650. Just had to replace the head unit bearings, due to this problem of a dented race, making the steering "center" itself. Trust me its a disconcerting feeling.

Ive always wanted a little more braking power; so I thought I'd ask the guru's on here whether you know of anyone that has done a mod to the 650 to utilize a dual front brake system. I know the Seca has dual front brakes. Can the shocks from the Seca be swapped out to the Maxim??? Maybe the 750 Maxim/Seca will work.

Can you just swap the shocks out, or do you have to do the entire triple tree?

I bought this Maxim new in 1983 and watched them put it together. We've been through a lot together and Im not ready to get rid of it. Just need some upgrades.

Also, I know there is a simple mod to turning the "always off" blinker lights to "always on" running light/blinker lights. Anyone got an easy step-by-step for this mod?

Mike (Mickey)

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I believe the rear shocks are not the same length between the Seca & the Maxim.....I've had both ;)

Although the front forks/brakes should swap out without a prob.

But, better yet....& cheaper too, is just to upgrade to a steel braided line & some EBC pads.....makes a Helluva difference in feel! ;)

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online