82 Yamaha Maxim

82Maxim
This post is 6358 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have had a 82 Yamaha Maxim XJ55O for about 15 years. It has 12,700 miles on it and it still runs great. I live in South Dakota so I am just now able to start riding this year. I am looking at replacing the rear tire (it's getting a little dry and cracked. I have the Dunlop Gold K127 130/90/16 and I plan to replace it with the Kenda K657 Sport Challenger 110/90H-18 from Tires Unlimited (http://tiresunlimited.com/default.htm).

I am curious if anyone has an opinion about switching to this other tire size. How will it affect the ride?

I am also looking at replacing the original dual exhaust with a 4 in 1 from Old Bike Barn (http://www.oldbikebarn.com/part.php?id=1452&subcategory=Exhaust%20Systems%20-%204%20into%201&bike=&DisplayPerPage=20).

Any pros and cons to the dual versus the single exhaust on this bike?

Thanks for your time.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I rode an 81/82 Seca 550 for 13 years everyday......as well as an '83 750 Maxim for an additional 4 years.....& I can't figure out why you'd change to such an odd size tire for the rear :headscratch: ........not only will it require a diffferent rim, but the geometry will definitely be affected as well. :unsure:

My advice.....stick with the stock rims & throw a pair of Dunlop Touring Elites on 'em......

Best bang for the buck no doubt ;)

I rode an 81/82 Seca 550 for 13 years everyday......as well as an '83 750 Maxim for an additional 4 years.....& I can't figure out why you'd change to such an odd size tire for the rear :headscratch: ........not only will it require a diffferent rim, but the geometry will definitely be affected as well. :unsure:

My advice.....stick with the stock rims & throw a pair of Dunlop Touring Elites on 'em......

Best bang for the buck no doubt ;)

I am looking at these based on the below link:

http://www.foreven.com/motorcycles/Tyres/YaSeca55.htm

Let me know what you think. Any thoughts on the single exhaust?

That info is admirable but really only applies to the Seca which has an 18" rear wheel.....

Vs. the Maxim's 16". I think the 130/90/16 size, which Dunlop also makes in the K491 Touring Elite, is more fitting for the Maxim. I ran 'em on my 750 Max & had great feedback & tread life ;)

Plus keeping with the same brand front & rear does promote longevity. ;)

As far as exhausts go......this is what I had on my Seca.....

MySeca.jpg

Standard Kerker with the aluminum slip-on.......only cost me $225 delivered right to my door B)

Nice exhaust note.......noticable weight savings.....& easy to maintain :thumb:

• 5 weeks later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online