DT 125 Running Problems

Carl Howell
This post is 5956 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hi, my brother has a DT125 which my dad has been using recently because my brother is at uni in Cardiff. The bike will start and run great. It will tick over for ever. When you ride the bike around the block it seems fine so you decide to go abit further and as you shut off to slow down the bike cuts out and it always seems to be at the worst possible place for it to happen. You get to the edge of the road and sometimes it will start and other times it takes ages. When you do try to start it it backfires sometimes. It sometimes will cut out waiting at the lights as well even when blipping the throttle. He changed the plug recently and the same happens with a different one in. He also recently changed the oil pump because the old one was leaking but it seemed to do the same then but not as often.He fitted the new oil pump last week which he got second hand off eBay. When he checked the minimum stroke, it was less than that on the original pump. If he adds a shim to make the clearance bigger, does anyone know if this will increase the oil flow or decrease it. I don't have any idea what it is to be honest and was hoping someone from here could help.

Thanks in advance, Carl

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

My dad has just been trying the bike. Usually it will start up and run well but this time it took more kicks than usual to start and when it did if the revs dropped below 3 it would cut out. It would only run for a few seconds and then cut out and backfired as it died. It was smoking alot more than usual. We tried it with and without the choke but it kept cutting out. He took the plug out and it was really oily. He cleaned the plug and put it back in and the same happened again. We removed the fuel cap first so it hadn't had chance to build up a vacuum as it only ran a few seconds. Then we drained the carb and the float bowl was full of clean, clear fuel.

Thanks, Carl

1989, that'll be the first of the DTRs. Get the carb off and give it a thorough cleaning, not forgetting all the tubes as well because there's one which looks like an overflow which actually isn't. That might help.

Might be an idea to get some carb cleaner and spray it into the HT cap and try and give that a good clean to make sure there is a decent contact.

Failing that, whereabouts are you based? If you're reasonably local I might be able to have a look into it for you.

• 1 year later...