Physics for policemen (and women)

kendo phil
This post is 6402 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

OK, here are some simple thoeretical physics lessons that may help out the next officer fo the law that pulls you over;

Lesson 1:

If I am ridding a bike that accelerates more quickly than the average police car, I will move away from a stop quicker than the car. With this in mind if you want to catch up to me, you will have to move quicker to do that. If I (being law abiding and all that) were to accelerate up to 30mph in say 2 seconds and it take you 8 seconds to get there, I will be travelling at 30mph for 6 seconds more than you (are we all ok at this point?) To catch up to me you need to do more than 30mph to close the 6 second gap between us. This does not mean that I was going quicker than 30mph, only you were to catch up to me. Therefore I was not speeding - in fact to catch me up you were speeding! Why would I be speeding with a police car behind me?

Lesson 2:

If you are younger than me, you cannot be my dad, so calling me son and my lad whilst trying to get your point across is wholy inaccurate, unless you have mastered time travel. Which if certain theories be believed is possible if you approach the speed of light. I doubt that you can acheive those speeds in a focus panda car, and no I wasnt doing those type of speed because I could see a speeding panda car in my mirrors.

Like I said totaly ficticious scenarios that may or may not happen - its just good to know that physics can help!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Over here.....If you brought up that physics lesson to a cop who just pulled you over......

It would only land you a much larger fine to pay! :rolleyes:

Points well-taken though ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i like the sound of that first one. today i left college and turned onto the road as i accelorated i noticed 2 police officors on the opposite side of the road. i thought nothing of it. i return back to college a bit later. the same police officers enter the college and start looking at my bike. (they often once or more times a day come into college as part of a police awareness thing). they notice my bike and start checking it out. im nearby and walk over asking if theres anythign i can help them with. he asks if i have full lisence to which i reply yes and offer ot show it him. then he asks my name and runs a vehicle check on it. (being only 17 i suppose it could look suspecious). he thn asks what speed where you doing when turning onto the road waas it over 30, be honest because your not getting a ticket. i replyed i didn't think so. he hmm'd i said i have a louder exhaust which can make me appear to moving faster and it is road legal. so then he says well i think you were doing over 30, enough for me to notice anyway. just watch the speed next time.

i take the point and i have no quarrel, but with no speed camera or any proof??

what do you guys think. just incase anything further happens.

Most cops I have found to be OK and the one that are bikers generally know the score. Its the jumped little hitlers that annoy me. I suspect they were bored and took a wander down to look at the bikes and ogle the college girls. However, they cannot stop you without reasonable grounds. Possible they saw your 'speed' as reasonable grounds for a quick chat and thats fair enough, but they cannot produce eviedence to prove your speed so not much can happen. At a push they could do you for due care and attention, but proving it would be difficult. I am always polite and curtious to them as most of them are just doing a job.

Most of all dont take any crap, if they are rude or unreasonable then take their badge number and speak to your local nick.

And whatever you do do not take off at high speed, fail to notice a panda car behind you and pull in a few miles on down the road at a cash point whilst it catchs up. I did this once and I got a real propper telling off from the cop (who was on his own without any recording equipment) He got me bang to rights and I got away with a huge dogging, so I thanked my lucky stars and went home 2mph below the speed limit!.

I also did a wheelie in front of a road safety officer and my dad found out (I was 17 at the time) and made me go to his house and applogise.

..................sorry, ignore these posts - computer cocked up!!!.........................

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online