Restricted licenses and the law

Nick Carter
This post is 6288 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I've got a restricted license as I'm only 18, and have been riding for 1 year - not two.

In my first bandit I had a 33bhp restriction kit put in for a 'tidy sum' of £170 to make my bike go slower. It soon fell out after my riding skill and confidence grew, and I felt happy with the ~70bhp that I had at my control.

I was wondering whether anyone knows what penalties or fines you can face if the police find your bike to have no restriction kit in, when you're meant to?

Just forward planning :P

Cheers,

Nick.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

The only way you are going to get found out is if they catch you doing 120mph on a bike that is supposed to be restricted, and if they catch you at those speeds then the restricters are going to be the least of your worries. As long as you have the paperwork to say the bike is restricted, short of dismantling it at the reoadside your average cop isnt going to look too much. However, if you hit someone and your bike is taken for repair and the garage finds no restricters, theres a good chance that you may be refused insurance. Then you are in a whole world of cost as nobody will touch you for less than a grand as you will be classified as a high insurance risk.

food for thought!

• 2 weeks later...

yea ,,,great reply phil,,,,, if you wanna open it up,,,pick your roads carefully nick,,,,,,,,,n your be ok

Of all the times I have been pulled the only thing that I have been asked for was my licence, insurance and MOT. Never restriction certificates etc. In fact when I was pulled as a learner I took my documents and CBT certificate to the cop shop to be told 'OK son, we dont care about that - just as long as you got a licence'