Problem starting

Sniffer dagenham
This post is 6351 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Right good evening all, i have got a problem with my 94 reg SR125, Bought new battery charged fully now flat. Batery charged gone on the blink and not able to bump start bike either. Tried everything in this pooring rain without sucsess. Have not got a car battery to do the job either. Anyone got any ideas???

PLEASE HLP ME!! !! !!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Try bump starting the machine in 2nd gear, should work and get her running (as long as kill switch etc in run position and getting fuel etc).

When she's running, put a multimeter across the terminals of the battery, should be 13.8V or higher with the engine running - this would confirm the alternator is running correctly. Check the connections (especially the earths) to confirm all is as it should be with the wiring.

If you can't get her bump started, check the fuses etc - a bike in decent condition should bump start fairly easily.

Get back if it is still a problem.

Paul

Try bump starting the machine in 2nd gear, should work and get her running (as long as kill switch etc in run position and getting fuel etc).

When she's running, put a multimeter across the terminals of the battery, should be 13.8V or higher with the engine running - this would confirm the alternator is running correctly. Check the connections (especially the earths) to confirm all is as it should be with the wiring.

If you can't get her bump started, check the fuses etc - a bike in decent condition should bump start fairly easily.

Get back if it is still a problem.

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, but I have already tried all that. Started bumping in first then on to second. Still nothing. Have now run out of ideas aswell as puff from all that bump starting. Tried for about 30 minutes.

Thanks Sniff

Sniff,

How do you know the battery is flat - does the starter solenoid click/do the instrument panel lights come on etc?

If 2nd gear no good for starting, try 3rd (!) - as long as she'll turn the wheel (i.e. so long as it doesn't lock up when trying to bump start) then she should force the engine to turn over...

Did you check the fuses etc?

Do you have a multimeter? What voltage are you getting across the battery?

Any other problems before this happened? How long was the bike 'ok' for before this etc - is there any other information/possible cause/anything that has been changed lately etc - is there actually fuel in the tank?! On reserve, carbs have fuel, engine has spark etc?

Get back with more info please?

Paul

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online