Newbie Hi and Buying Advice Question

banjo
This post is 6433 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Well, I'm officially switching to Yamaha and am coming over from the Honda side to the FJR. I have a chance to buy a bike at a great price at a dealership a few towns over, or get a great buy that is $500 more by staying in my town. I like the idea of supporting a local business but $500 is a lot of money. The more expensive dealer says that he assembles the bikes in shop and he can promise far superior set up to the D&D guys (ding and dent) who set up large dealership bikes.

Does anyone have experience with setups and is it worth the extra 5 bills for a nice guy in a nearby shop?

Thanks in advance for all opinions!

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

It's their word against his, of course they will all say that they set them up better than others but it's not necessarily true. For $500 you're better off going a few towns over and getting that one as long as you can see that it's not been bodged or damaged. As long as you get some kind of warranty then there's no real need to worry.

On the other hand, buying from a local business can often work out equally well as they can bend the rules a little bit and throw in some extras or you may even get discounts on parts later on.

Myself I'd buy from a dealership as they are a larger establishment and you can take legal action easier if things go tits up but it's up to you.

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online