What color is my bike? - 99 YZF600R

xeon
This post is 6360 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

My bike fell over the other day on my patio and the tank got a little dinged up when it met the low rock wall. There are also some small scratches I can probably touch up on the plastics. The tank is dented with paint chipping though... not sure whether to buy a pricey new tank or try and have it repaired. I seem to be at a cross roads in regards to the color though... I think it is Vivid Red Cocktail #7 (VCR7), but some places/painters like Color-Rite.com have it listed as Vivid Red Cocktail #1(VRC1). I think some R1s were done with the VRC1 and it is more of a Ferrari red, while my bike is a darker red... or are they the same color and I'm worrying about nothing. The Yamaha parts system does note my parts a VRC7 though.

I'd like to get my bike back into the shape it was before it dumped over on me. Can anyone confirm my paint code and or give any experiences of getting parts repainted and it matching?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Can't confirm the Paint code as I'm pretty sure they they do do different colours in the States. If you take your seat off you should see a code that can be used to determine paint.

As for the dink in the tank, does it have any crease in the metal ? I dropped my old Cat once in the garage and it hit the paddick stand and pushed in the tank. Using a soft faced hammer i tapped around the dent and it bought the dent out as if it had never been there.

Well, I was going to try using dry ice on it. I read somewhere that using dry ice might pop it out as well since I'm not too sure about hammering on it. Still need to get it painted though and it appears to be a Tri-Coat, whether it is Vivid Red Cocktail #1 or #7. I'm not sure about the coding under the seat either, it has a letter but I'm not sure what it corresponds to. Found an online parts manual that says my code = VCR7. Anyway here is my dent:

dtanksu2.jpg

I'm not sure if the dent will just pop out or not given its placement.

Ow, that looks worse than i expected. That's loks like it's got a crease in it so your stuffed for popping it out fully. You could have it repaired and resprayed but it may be cheaper to get one off Ebay or from a scrappy (breakers yard).

Ow, that looks worse than i expected. That's loks like it's got a crease in it so your stuffed for popping it out fully. You could have it repaired and resprayed but it may be cheaper to get one off Ebay or from a scrappy (breakers yard).

That "crease" worries me too, but a body shop can probably make it good as new. I may try the dry ice trick since it probably will not hurt it any. Not holding my breath though.

My largest concern is getting the color right. I did find one on E-Bay, but it has a small dent with touch up with paint... I already have a dented tank and I could touch it up so I'm not jumping at that one. It hasn't been easy to find one that color, scrap yards included, but I'll keep at it.

May end up just buying a tank at $400(USD).

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online