stands?

newjerzrep
This post is 6357 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I hope my question doesn't bother the thread poster, but I have an 87' FZ600 and would like a center stand, do any of them have a center stand from the showroom? Or have one custom mounted or something? The side stand doesn't hold very well on a lot of surfaces and I have to park a certain way uphill so it's not tipsy. Or is there something else that I could like slide under the tire to hold it up?

Thanks,

Zach

Does anyone ever look at this message board? It could be very useful to a lot of people. Can anyone at least have some type of reply? Is it normal for there to be no center stand on a sport bike like my 87' FZ? Does anyone else have a center stand on a similar bike?

peace

Quite normal for sports bikes not to have centre stands. Always carry a stand puck with you so that if the surface is soft you can put the puck under the stand to spread the weight. As for being careful when on hills etc ... this is part of biking not much you can do when theres only 2 wheels and a side stand.

I very much doubt that you'll be able to get a aftermarket fixed centre stand as the bike won't have been designed for it and there could well be clearance problems when cornering even if there was a way of actually fitting it to the cradle frame.

Okay, thanks so much for your reply. After searching for a while I found a pic of something I had in mind, but would rather it be something I could carry with me. I'll post the link to the pic. http://www.revsperformance.com/renntec/stands.htm

While searching I also found this homemade stand, it's not portable at all, but I thought it was pretty cool if it's safe... http://texan.labiker.org/projects/stand/1leftbottom.html

And I found this on ebay at a reasonable price, but don't know the quality (I better go read some reviews to get a better idea),

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/motorcycle-...1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for your advice, I hope my little bit of info is beneficial to someone, somewhere, sometime.

Zach

Quite normal for sports bikes not to have centre stands. Always carry a stand puck with you so that if the surface is soft you can put the puck under the stand to spread the weight. As for being careful when on hills etc ... this is part of biking not much you can do when theres only 2 wheels and a side stand.

I very much doubt that you'll be able to get a aftermarket fixed centre stand as the bike won't have been designed for it and there could well be clearance problems when cornering even if there was a way of actually fitting it to the cradle frame.

All of those stands seem to be ones paddock stands ... or that home made one ! All of which a re very useful in the garage for maintenamce and cleaning, but can't be carried around and thefore not suitable for what you originally said you wanted it for.

Enjoy safe parking :) !!

Yea I know these stands are not what I said I originally wanted it for, but I was wondering if anyone has seen something similar that is portable? thanks for your opinion though.

Has anyone actually had their bike fall over while parked and why did it fall?

I've never had a problem with a side stand on my R1, always stick it into gear helps keep it stable on a hill.

However I have seen bikes fall over, a mates brand new zx10r heeled over . would recommend a paddock stand for cleaning and while working on the bike. cheers Scotty

If parking on a hill I always try to park at an angle, keep front end pointing up the hill with the stand to the curb side, so the bike is leaning into the hill, and roll it backwards so the rear tyre is resting into the curb to stop it rolling backwards.

But it all depends xactly how far you bike leans on the stand my 04 R6 leans quite alot, I've seen other bike that are still quite upright on the side stand so ou'd need to adjust the method slightly to suit.

Thanks for the advice, it really seems like experience is what teaches you how to park it so it's stable, but sometimes these high wind gusts have me worried, especially if I go this lake I like to see, the wind pushes off of the lake fast and there is no curb to park against. At least my bike is old and not the prettiest anyways, so if it fell it wouldn't be too big of a loss.

Zach

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online