Why Are????

This post is 6305 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

its my 16th birthday coming up and i wanted an offroad sort of moped, so i looked straight for the yamaha dt50

since ive been looking ive only seen a couple and theyre either really expensive or very old!

ive seen one for £450 and its a 1994 model, do you think its worth it? what sort of stuff can you do to it, to make it quicker and to make it look better aswell?

thanx aload

louis

• 2 weeks later...
Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

its my 16th birthday coming up and i wanted an offroad sort of moped, so i looked straight for the yamaha dt50

since ive been looking ive only seen a couple and theyre either really expensive or very old!

ive seen one for £450 and its a 1994 model, do you think its worth it? what sort of stuff can you do to it, to make it quicker and to make it look better aswell?

thanx aload

louis

Try finding a 1980-82. This uses the same engine as the ysr50. There are dime a dozen performance parts availlable for this engine. In the USA team calamari makes many high performance components. Aftermarket Ignitions are also availlabe. Back in the early 80's I was able to get the DT50 go 75-80 MPH with just porting the cylinder jugs, an aftermarket expansion chamber, and a change over from 16 mm to 22 mm carburator. The engine is fairly reliable. Another fun method to upgrade the power on the bike is to transplant a 1977-1979 IT175 engine. Your horse power will instantly go up from 6HP to 22 HP. It will pop wheelies every gear. You will blow away all your friends' mopeds.