New to the forum, would like to know possibly oil leaks

Electric87FZ600
This post is 6285 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Hello, I recently acquired a 1987 Yamaha FZ600, I'm still waiting on the title though, so I might wait to work on it anymore. Anyhow, it leaks oil from underneath, couldn't this be dangerous if it were to drip on the rear tire? Or is there something to prevent that from happening (splash shield?)?

Anyways, the previous owner says the engine is from a 1991 Yamaha grand prix or something, it's supposed to be a race motor. It sounds like it's got an exhaust leak at the manifold, I may fix that or just drive it for now as I plan to convert it to 100% electric later. Also the clutch slips on harder acceleration, but I've read in the manual how to adjust it, it's probably just halfway burnt up though.

I wanted to know where could this bike be leaking oil from? What are the name and description of the seals that could be leaking? And is there any common places for it to leak? Is there any way to lift the motorcycle without the hydraulic motorcycle floor jack? Also would anyone know if the fairing or plastic that surrounds the headlight is hard to find for my motorcycle? I've seen a few for sale, I'd like to wait to buy one, but if it's rare I better snatch one up while it's available. Thanks, for your help.

Peace

-Zach

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I see this forum is not the busiest, anyways, I was reading on another motorcycle forum (www.totalmotorcycle.com), that this isn't the best first bike. Well I did have an 84' Honda Shadow 700, but that was a lot different, and I only drove it 300 miles. After reading the precautions on TMW I feel like it may be dangerous to ride this bike, I don't feel like i'm the exceptional driver (even though I have a little auto-cross experience, in a car though), I don't feel exceptional but I do feel like I can be civilized enough to survive driving this bike until I convert it to electric, i'll be using an electric motor with probably 2/3 of the original combustion engine, just because it's cheaper than the electric conversions that are faster than the original gas setup. I plan to wear full safety gear, I bought a helmet (DOT and Snell approved) and riding gloves, I still need a jacket and pants, but denim for now. Has anyone else started on a FZ600? Any beginner tips? I read once that the older FZ's like mine have a tendency to develop chain lash, could someone describe that and how to prevent it or what to do once something goes wrong?

Thanks,

Zach

I've rode an old friend's FZ600 that he used to race on occassion....

Your oil leak....is it coming from the front underside of the motor?....If so,

It could be the seal behind the oil filter casing......cool thing is that a new one usually comes with a new oil filter when you buy 'em. ;)

You might be able to get a bit more life outta that clutch by shuffling the plates....but an oil change couldn't hurt either.

The chain lash you spoke of.....do you mean the drive chain @ the rear wheel?......or the Cam chain in the motor?

Both are pretty easy to adjust.....if that's any consequence ;)

So I need to do an oil change first...well I have a service manual and it looks like it came from the Yamaha dealership, maybe I can figure it out, but I'd need a hydraulic motorcycle floor jack wouldn't I? I don't think my bike has a center stand. Is shuffling the clutch plates a very involved process? Actually I think I like how it slips only on hard acceleration, it'll help me keep my head on straight. I was speaking of chain lash in the drive chain to the rear wheel, I've heard it was susceptible to building lack when off the throttle and when you roll back on it can cause the bike to jump in the middle of a turn or wherever, I was just mentioning it to get suggestions on that feel as I am a beginner rider, I need to know what to do in case of all these common situations arriving.

thanks for the feedback,

zach

I've rode an old friend's FZ600 that he used to race on occassion....

Your oil leak....is it coming from the front underside of the motor?....If so,

It could be the seal behind the oil filter casing......cool thing is that a new one usually comes with a new oil filter when you buy 'em. ;)

You might be able to get a bit more life outta that clutch by shuffling the plates....but an oil change couldn't hurt either.

The chain lash you spoke of.....do you mean the drive chain @ the rear wheel?......or the Cam chain in the motor?

Both are pretty easy to adjust.....if that's any consequence ;)

• 5 months later...
  • Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online