DTR 125 SM or DTX 06

This post is 5852 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have recently bourght a DTR SM (Super Moto) & have just run it in. I have just had a full DEP system fitted which has made a bit of a difference power wise but i just can't get enough. Has anyone out there got any ideas of what else i can do to it without buggering it up. Cheers.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I have recently bourght a DTR SM (Super Moto) & have just run it in. I have just had a full DEP system fitted which has made a bit of a difference power wise but i just can't get enough. Has anyone out there got any ideas of what else i can do to it without buggering it up. Cheers.

helo fella, first youve changed the pipe ,so next you want to get hold of a pre 96 cdi unit( try a bike breakers first) then you want to undo the light to get at the speedo undo the speedo, then inside between bulbs you should see a small oblong whiteish block looking gizmo /its the only one there. and prize it free from the clock casing ( something to do with un earthing it ??) but seems to work once prized free tape it up with electrical tape ,, this is some thing to do with the reeds (rev limiter),dont cut the wires as some have done to there cost. right that done , the catalyctic converter, try this its a new mod from our european dt riders who reckon it makes a difference, unplug it(remove it) they limit /restrict gas flow,, you may need to re jet the carb now one mod is ok but all the mods together try it , theyre only about £4 a jet, now lastly the powervalve, dont lock it open, your bike should have the power valve kit already fitted,pre 96 models didnt they were restricted mechanically, so undo the exhaust, look up the port then feel the valve you cant mistake it open the throttle you should feel it moving( engine off) on opened up ( full) throttle the valve in the port should fully open, and when the throttle is let off (closed) the valve should close to almost just above the port, most are not set properly to limit gas flow, you may have to tweak the cable that controlls the valve its not hard ,you will notice the power in the lower rev range too if you dont lock it open like a lot of people do , but then you have to rev the nads off to get the power out of ,it and a lot of clutch slipping/by adjusting the cable correctly you will have the power the bike was meant to have from first to sixth without slipping the clutch and screwing it, and it should rev past 10.000 revs, good luck,be responsible RIDE SAFELY cos i wont be there when you cross the road !!

• 10 months later...

Hi Dude

Joekid is quite right and sounds like he/she knows a lot more than me. I just got a 2006 Yamaha DTX SM 125. It has no DEP system just the stock pipes. I had the CDI Unit de-restricted and it has decent Alloy wheels and good tires. I'm well happy with it. Does 70mph in 4th gear and opening it up on a clear road it will arc the clock, does at least 90mph and I reckon if I put in a DEP front and back pipe I'd kill myself on it.

The Super Moto DTX is simply the best 125 I ever had the pleasure to ride. It's road handling is amazing and it corners like no other bike I been on. If I want to go off road on it then I can simply put a set of larger wheels from a DTR on with chunky tyres.

I still got my old 2003 TW 125 and I had a wee go yesterday. I swear to God, after running around on my DTX, the TW feels like I'm dragging an anvil behind me.

Peter -L

helo fella, first youve changed the pipe ,so next you want to get hold of a pre 96 cdi unit( try a bike breakers first) then you want to undo the light to get at the speedo undo the speedo, then inside between bulbs you should see a small oblong whiteish block looking gizmo /its the only one there. and prize it free from the clock casing ( something to do with un earthing it ??) but seems to work once prized free tape it up with electrical tape ,, this is some thing to do with the reeds (rev limiter),dont cut the wires as some have done to there cost. right that done , the catalyctic converter, try this its a new mod from our european dt riders who reckon it makes a difference, unplug it(remove it) they limit /restrict gas flow,, you may need to re jet the carb now one mod is ok but all the mods together try it , theyre only about £4 a jet, now lastly the powervalve, dont lock it open, your bike should have the power valve kit already fitted,pre 96 models didnt they were restricted mechanically, so undo the exhaust, look up the port then feel the valve you cant mistake it open the throttle you should feel it moving( engine off) on opened up ( full) throttle the valve in the port should fully open, and when the throttle is let off (closed) the valve should close to almost just above the port, most are not set properly to limit gas flow, you may have to tweak the cable that controlls the valve its not hard ,you will notice the power in the lower rev range too if you dont lock it open like a lot of people do , but then you have to rev the nads off to get the power out of ,it and a lot of clutch slipping/by adjusting the cable correctly you will have the power the bike was meant to have from first to sixth without slipping the clutch and screwing it, and it should rev past 10.000 revs, good luck,be responsible RIDE SAFELY cos i wont be there when you cross the road !!

Paragraphs next time please.

Main restriction on a DT is the exhaust which you have quite rightly replaced with a DEP. The powervalve does not need any alteration unless it has come out of alignment.

The airbox will have a rubber intake snorkel which you will find located under the seat. This can be removed with a quick pull and then that's another restriction out of the way. You'll need to rejet at this point so strip the float bowl off your carb and note your main jet size. Go up two sizes to start with and work around that.

Regardless of what you may hear, fitting a pre 1991 CDI unit wont really do anything for you and you'll probably just end up with a useless loom after you've chopped it around trying to fit the older unit.

this is some thing to do with the reeds (rev limiter),

the reeds are a mechanical valve to stop fuel blowing back to the carb, they allow fuel in, then seal it in.nothing electrical there.

so undo the exhaust, look up the port then feel the valve you cant mistake it open the throttle you should feel it moving( engine off) on opened up ( full) throttle the valve in the port should fully open, and when the throttle is let off (closed) the valve should close to almost just above the port,

the power valve is moved by an electrical motor not by twisting the throttle, there is no link from the throttle cable to the power valve, the motor is controlled by where you are in the rev range

the catalyctic converter, try this its a new mod from our european dt riders who reckon it makes a difference, unplug it(remove it) they limit /restrict gas flow,,

the catalyctic converter is in the exhaust pipe, you can't unplug it,

you either replace the pipe or cut the pipe open, remove it and weld the pipe back together

sorry to pick holes in this guys, but if you don't know what you are f=*king about with you are going to mess your bikes right up,

the reeds are a mechanical valve to stop fuel blowing back to the carb, they allow fuel in, then seal it in.nothing electrical there.

so undo the exhaust, look up the port then feel the valve you cant mistake it open the throttle you should feel it moving( engine off) on opened up ( full) throttle the valve in the port should fully open, and when the throttle is let off (closed) the valve should close to almost just above the port,

the power valve is moved by an electrical motor not by twisting the throttle, there is no link from the throttle cable to the power valve, the motor is controlled by where you are in the rev range

the catalyctic converter, try this its a new mod from our european dt riders who reckon it makes a difference, unplug it(remove it) they limit /restrict gas flow,,

you either replace the pipe or cut the pipe open, remove it and weld the pipe back together

sorry to pick holes in this guys, but if you don't know what you are f=*king about with you are going to mess your bikes right up,

:thumb:

• 1 month later...

hi

what you really need is another motor.. :lol:

and i have in mind something.. :D

the dt200r motor.. B)

totally bolt on to the dt125r..

bore and stroke 66x57=195cc=30ps (stock) at the wheel = 155-160Km/h top speed

a friend has a spare one. if anyone interested i'll ask for a price

cheers

• 3 weeks later...

hi

what you really need is another motor.. :lol:

and i have in mind something.. :D

the dt200r motor.. B)

totally bolt on to the dt125r..

bore and stroke 66x57=195cc=30ps (stock) at the wheel = 155-160Km/h top speed

a friend has a spare one. if anyone interested i'll ask for a price

cheers

How exactly does fitting parts off the 200 help? Or did you mean the whole engine?

• 2 months later...

Hi you are rigth the catalic convertere is in the exhaust if you change the exhaush remove this or you will feel nothing

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online