Electrical fault

KaiBosh
This post is 6492 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

I have a Yamaha FZR600R and a month ago fitted little neon lights. No problems there. Recently had heated grips fitted too. It went fine for 20 miles or so, then cut out on the motorway. No warning, no spluttering, just zero engine power. I pulled onto the hard shoulder and tried restarting the engine. The starter motor was very perky and the lights were on full beam i.e the battery was not flat - it just wouldn't start as if I had no petrol (full tank before you ask).

I called the RAC and the guy tested the battery. With the lights and hotgrips on there was only 12.7V at the battery which is one whole volt less than it needs. He jump-started it and it went fine (hot grips unplugged). Straightforward, right? Just too much of a draw and the bike runs at a loss?

No! This is the bit I don't understand: it wasn't just too much of a draw because this would have run my battery down but my battery wasn't run down at all - there was still loads of life left. Why is this and what can I do?

The grips are advertised as having an EXTREMELY low current drain - less than 2A apparently. But again, it's not that my battery ran flat, it still had practically full charge.

Am I right in thinking that the coil sends a spark to the HT leads and perhaps, even though there was enough charge to turn the starter motor, the spark takes more? I can't believe that... can someone confirm?

Alternatively, is there a device or a replacement part - a more powerful alternator perhaps - that would allow me to have my headlamps, neons AND heated grips on?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Before lashin loads of money away give your own alternator and regulator a check . The more your electrical system wants the more it should give (within reason) put volt meter across your battery with your engine revvin at about 4,000 , it should be giving a good 14 volts of charge with your lights & grips on ;) good luck :thumb:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online