1974 Yamaha 250 DR

Bill Epperly
This post is 6365 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

Just started restoring a 1974 Yamaha 250 DR. It belong to my father-in-law and hasn't ran in 10 years :( . I finally talked him into bring it to my barn to clean it up and get it running again. the bikes a mess!...a little rust poking through some of the rims and a LOT of cleaning and polishing up to do, replace all hoses etc.

This is my first restore job. Iv'e started at the front and will work my way back. I was polishing the aluminium lower forks and realized that there is some sort of coating that I've polished off :blink: . Needed to do it though because of the corrosion. What can i seal it with when I'm done though?

Just wanted to see if there are any other 250 DR owners out there or someone I can touch base with from time to time as I work through the bike.

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

Just started restoring a 1974 Yamaha 250 DR. It belong to my father-in-law and hasn't ran in 10 years :( . I finally talked him into bring it to my barn to clean it up and get it running again. the bikes a mess!...a little rust poking through some of the rims and a LOT of cleaning and polishing up to do, replace all hoses etc.

This is my first restore job. Iv'e started at the front and will work my way back. I was polishing the aluminium lower forks and realized that there is some sort of coating that I've polished off :blink: . Needed to do it though because of the corrosion. What can i seal it with when I'm done though?

Just wanted to see if there are any other 250 DR owners out there or someone I can touch base with from time to time as I work through the bike.

most ally was laquered, and the concensus was to leave bare and polish, as the laquer yellows with age. post a pic of the bike because i can't seem to google a yam dr 250 only a suzy!!

most ally was laquered, and the concensus was to leave bare and polish, as the laquer yellows with age. post a pic of the bike because i can't seem to google a yam dr 250 only a suzy!!

Yah, the othe side looks kinda yellow. That sounds good, it would a pain to have to clear coat it again.

My camera is being fixed...as soon as I get it back I'll post a picture. It could be RD instead of DR...can't remember off hand. I'm trying to talk my father-in-law into riding again, he's 70. It would be cool to spend an afternoon riding with him.

You ever ride up through Scotland? my wife and I took a road trip in a car last year up the west coast and back down the middle. I'd love to do it on a bike!

It could be RD instead of DR...can't remember off hand.

A bit of Lisdexia setting in , eh? :D

Is it a 2-Stroke?......& is it a single or a twin? :unsure:

It sounds like it could be an RD :thumb: ....or maybe a DT?