engine tapping

i like my SR
This post is 6412 days old and we'd rather you create a new post instead of adding to this one. You can't reply in this post.

hi, unfortunaitly, i have purchased a kwak.

ive just run it home (helston, cornwall) from Llandrindod wells in wales (300 miles)

on the run, i heard no abnormal noises.

when i got home, it was run arround (priety aggressivly i might say :unsure:) and once again i heard no problems. when i got home, no abnormal noises.

ive left it to cool down for 1 hour, and ive just started it up (because i love the fact that ive now got a 500, instead of 125, and i love the noise) and to my horror, i hear a mild to loud tapping noise from the cylender head at arround 1500 rpm above and below that rpm, the noise goes, but im very tentative to take her out again, seen as my SR's first engine died due to a incorrectly seated valve that was worn and droped in to the cylender. that made a similar sound, and im hoping that its not that again, as it is not only terminal on my new bike (got today, 25th nov) but costs alot to fix too :cry2:

can anybode please tell me that i shouldnt bee afraid and that it will all be better tomorow? or atleast let me know what it could be.

many thanks.

Kim smith

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.

I had this same scenario with my old XS400 Seca....think it ended up being a sticky lifter? :headscratch:

How long have you had your Kwak?...maybe just warm it up good & then give it an Oil change with some quality bike oil.....Sometimes that's all it takes to quiet down those cylinder head noises. ;)

hi, thanks for the input, ive had it cheked over,

its the cam chain tensioner that is rattling against the chain.

many thanks,

kim

• Who's Online (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online