1992 Yamaha FJ-1200 ABS does not want to idle when hot. Splutters, misfires and dies.

DutchFJ1200

Morning chaps,

Been happening for a while now but more so when it gets hotter outside.

Starts good when cold, drives and pulls like a train. My drive home takes 30 mins through some heavy traffic and filtering. When stopped at a traffic light or when I get home to open the gate the bike starts spluttering, misfiring and dies.  At a a traffic light I have to keep the revs at or above 2000 rpm.

Have looked at various forums but nothing conclusive ranging from carb settings, vacuum leaks etc.

My bike shop guy has turned up the idle a bit and he thinks it may be the coils getting hot after a bit and might need to be replaced.

Any ideas ?

Do you want an ad-free experience? Join today and help support the Yamaha Owners Club.
53 minutes ago, DutchFJ1200 said:

he thinks it may be the coils getting hot after a bit and might need to be replaced.

He may well be right Dutch. I had something similar years ago on my 400/4, that has twin coils under the tank directly above the engine. One of them was playing up especially in hot weather. Heat from the engine and warm air from the environment was too much for it and it would often play up in the summer months. A replacement solved the problem. mind you it did take a long time to trace the cause!!

Not expensive..

https://www.squaremotorcycleparts.co.uk/products/ignition-coil-yamaha-fj1200-fj-1200-1988-1994

worth doing for that price, and yours will be 32 years old already if original!!

You Sir get the Platinum medal today 🙂   lol

Shoot.... thanks for the link.

I normally get my gear from Wemoto ...... they are double that price https://www.wemoto.com/bike/yamaha/fj/1200/1992/28776/ignition-coil

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1